Jan 19, 2011, 5:19 PM EDT
Flyers fans have been feeling pretty proud about how their team has played of late and with good reason. The team sits atop the Eastern Conference with 65 points and they’re tied with Vancouver for most points in the NHL. Now they’ll be getting their best defenseman back into the lineup.
Chris Pronger practiced once again today and he’ll be set to play tomorrow night against Ottawa. Pronger’s been out since mid-December with a fractured right foot. Foot injuries are always a bit trickier for hockey players to come back from, but with the amount of work put into fixing Pronger’s foot and the intense rehab he’s done, him coming back now makes the timing right.
Pronger will step back into a defensive corps that’s done well in his absence. Oskars Bartulis and Matt Walker have done well enough so that their play hasn’t been focused on and the mistakes have been few. Getting a minutes hog like Pronger back will also benefit the rest of the lineup as he’s the one guy the Flyers trust the most on the back end.
This also means, barring any setbacks, Pronger will get to face the Chicago Blackhawks in a Stanley Cup rematch on Sunday afternoon at 12:30 ET on NBC. Here’s to hoping that Pronger’s been practicing his puck robbing skills during rehab as well.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)