Jan 19, 2011, 2:25 PM EDT
As if the Penguins didn’t have enough offense missing from their lineup with Sidney Crosby out with a concussion, they’ll lose another big name for tomorrow’s game.
Pens coach Dan Bylsma said today after practice that Evgeni Malkin will miss tomorrow’s game with New Jersey with an undisclosed injury. Malkin has been in a slump of late and unable to help the Penguins scoring woes. With Malkin out of the lineup, the burden of carrying Pittsburgh’s offense shifts to Jordan Staal. Staal has been playing great since returning to the Pens lineup after missing most of the season with hand and foot injuries.
Without Crosby and Malkin in the lineup, that leaves the Penguins without two all-world type players and creates a hole that’s virtually impossible to fill. Malkin’s absence might prompt the Penguins to call someone up from the AHL and Eric Tangradi stands out as a possibility.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 14
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 7
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)