Jan 19, 2011, 2:25 PM EDT
As if the Penguins didn’t have enough offense missing from their lineup with Sidney Crosby out with a concussion, they’ll lose another big name for tomorrow’s game.
Pens coach Dan Bylsma said today after practice that Evgeni Malkin will miss tomorrow’s game with New Jersey with an undisclosed injury. Malkin has been in a slump of late and unable to help the Penguins scoring woes. With Malkin out of the lineup, the burden of carrying Pittsburgh’s offense shifts to Jordan Staal. Staal has been playing great since returning to the Pens lineup after missing most of the season with hand and foot injuries.
Without Crosby and Malkin in the lineup, that leaves the Penguins without two all-world type players and creates a hole that’s virtually impossible to fill. Malkin’s absence might prompt the Penguins to call someone up from the AHL and Eric Tangradi stands out as a possibility.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)