Jan 18, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby‘s agent Pat Brisson admits that his client is angry, but that the anger won’t be directed at the NHL via a boycott of the 2011 NHL All-Star Game. Instead Brisson explains that Crosby is simply mad that his injury is keeping him from appearing on the ice.
In other words, if the league’s biggest star misses the event, it will be because of lingering concussion issues rather than festering bitterness regarding the way the NHL handled the two hits that gave him trouble.
Brisson echoes thoughts we’ve passed along since Crosby missed his first game: the nebulous nature of concussions means that “he could be out two more days or two more months.”
Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean that Crosby is happy with the way the situation has been handled, though. Let’s not forget that he was quite outspoken regarding the lack of discipline handed out to Washington Capitals center David Steckel and Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman.
It just seems out of character for Crosby to make such a “statement” by sitting out a big league event out of spite. So let’s allow the rumors of a Crosby boycott die, but we cannot deny the fact that the rumors had some merit. It’s not ridiculous to wonder if he’s fuming about those hits, after all.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)