Jan 18, 2011, 11:47 AM EDT
When a hockey player breaks The Code, they often find themselves shipped to another team as punishment for shaming their team. It happened when Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond broke one of “The Unwritten Rules” and attacked a Marcus Johansson, a player who didn’t want to fight earlier this season. The enforcer known as “PL3″ never wore a New Jersey Devils sweater again after that incident.
By that logic, it’s not surprising that the Atlanta Thrashers decided to let Ben Eager go today. They traded the brutish forward to the San Jose Sharks for a fifth round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, according to sources including TSN. As you may remember, Eager received a four-game suspension for his shameful sucker punch on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong.
From the Sharks perspective, they get two things: added grit and yet another former member of the 2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks. That makes it two out of three for the team’s attempts to acquire players from the team that beat them in the Western Conference finals, as they added Antti Niemi and Eager while the ‘Hawks decided to match their offer sheet on Niklas Hjalmarsson.
A portly pop star once sang “Two out of three ain’t bad,” but in the case of Eager, being bad is basically the point.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)