Jan 18, 2011, 11:47 AM EST
When a hockey player breaks The Code, they often find themselves shipped to another team as punishment for shaming their team. It happened when Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond broke one of “The Unwritten Rules” and attacked a Marcus Johansson, a player who didn’t want to fight earlier this season. The enforcer known as “PL3″ never wore a New Jersey Devils sweater again after that incident.
By that logic, it’s not surprising that the Atlanta Thrashers decided to let Ben Eager go today. They traded the brutish forward to the San Jose Sharks for a fifth round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, according to sources including TSN. As you may remember, Eager received a four-game suspension for his shameful sucker punch on Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong.
From the Sharks perspective, they get two things: added grit and yet another former member of the 2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks. That makes it two out of three for the team’s attempts to acquire players from the team that beat them in the Western Conference finals, as they added Antti Niemi and Eager while the ‘Hawks decided to match their offer sheet on Niklas Hjalmarsson.
A portly pop star once sang “Two out of three ain’t bad,” but in the case of Eager, being bad is basically the point.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)