Jan 18, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Monday night featured another Save of the Night photo finish, as it was a tough call to decide if Antti Niemi’s two saves against the Phoenix Coyotes were more impressive than Kari Lehtonen’s work against the Los Angeles Kings.
Though Niemi made more saves overall of the San Jose Sharks last night, Lehtonen came up big when the Dallas Stars needed him the most: in the final minute of the third period. His biggest stop came when he thwarted Jack Johnson (arguably the Kings’ best shootout option) on a penalty shot that came about on a somewhat controversial call, but he also made some saves in the final seconds.
You can see the penalty shot stop in the first video and the final saves in the second one.
Penalty shot save:
The other saves:
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)