Jan 18, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Monday night featured another Save of the Night photo finish, as it was a tough call to decide if Antti Niemi’s two saves against the Phoenix Coyotes were more impressive than Kari Lehtonen’s work against the Los Angeles Kings.
Though Niemi made more saves overall of the San Jose Sharks last night, Lehtonen came up big when the Dallas Stars needed him the most: in the final minute of the third period. His biggest stop came when he thwarted Jack Johnson (arguably the Kings’ best shootout option) on a penalty shot that came about on a somewhat controversial call, but he also made some saves in the final seconds.
You can see the penalty shot stop in the first video and the final saves in the second one.
Penalty shot save:
The other saves:
- Wild hoping last change can help turn the tide versus Avs 0
- Wild changes: Kuemper starts, Brodziak sits, Heatley draws in 2
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 8
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 14
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 25
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (112)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (96)