Jan 18, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Monday night featured another Save of the Night photo finish, as it was a tough call to decide if Antti Niemi’s two saves against the Phoenix Coyotes were more impressive than Kari Lehtonen’s work against the Los Angeles Kings.
Though Niemi made more saves overall of the San Jose Sharks last night, Lehtonen came up big when the Dallas Stars needed him the most: in the final minute of the third period. His biggest stop came when he thwarted Jack Johnson (arguably the Kings’ best shootout option) on a penalty shot that came about on a somewhat controversial call, but he also made some saves in the final seconds.
You can see the penalty shot stop in the first video and the final saves in the second one.
Penalty shot save:
The other saves:
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)