Report: Flames, Canadiens will stage alumni game for ’86 Cup Finals during 2011 Heritage Classic weekend
Jan 18, 2011, 1:01 AM EDT
The (modern) Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals weren’t the only teams to play at Heinz Field during the 2011 Winter Classic as Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis, Peter Bondra and other retired stars skated again during an alumni game. It looks like the 2011 Heritage Classic between the Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens will hold a similar event, at least if rumors are correct.
Dave Stubbs from Habs Inside/Out reports that the Flames and Habs will invite alumni from the 1986 Stanley Cup finals series to play in a game on February 19th. That ’86 series is remembered for Patrick Roy’s Ken Dryden-like Stanley Cup run and was the second most recent instance in which the Habs won it all.
Stubbs writes that an official announcement is expected “in the next few days.”
The 2011 Heritage Classic is set to take place at McMahon Stadium at the University of Calgary on February 20th. Expect more coverage of the game as the event approaches.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)