Report: Flames, Canadiens will stage alumni game for ’86 Cup Finals during 2011 Heritage Classic weekend
Jan 18, 2011, 1:01 AM EST
The (modern) Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals weren’t the only teams to play at Heinz Field during the 2011 Winter Classic as Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis, Peter Bondra and other retired stars skated again during an alumni game. It looks like the 2011 Heritage Classic between the Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens will hold a similar event, at least if rumors are correct.
Dave Stubbs from Habs Inside/Out reports that the Flames and Habs will invite alumni from the 1986 Stanley Cup finals series to play in a game on February 19th. That ’86 series is remembered for Patrick Roy’s Ken Dryden-like Stanley Cup run and was the second most recent instance in which the Habs won it all.
Stubbs writes that an official announcement is expected “in the next few days.”
The 2011 Heritage Classic is set to take place at McMahon Stadium at the University of Calgary on February 20th. Expect more coverage of the game as the event approaches.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 83
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (83)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)