Report: Flames, Canadiens will stage alumni game for ’86 Cup Finals during 2011 Heritage Classic weekend
Jan 18, 2011, 1:01 AM EDT
The (modern) Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals weren’t the only teams to play at Heinz Field during the 2011 Winter Classic as Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis, Peter Bondra and other retired stars skated again during an alumni game. It looks like the 2011 Heritage Classic between the Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens will hold a similar event, at least if rumors are correct.
Dave Stubbs from Habs Inside/Out reports that the Flames and Habs will invite alumni from the 1986 Stanley Cup finals series to play in a game on February 19th. That ’86 series is remembered for Patrick Roy’s Ken Dryden-like Stanley Cup run and was the second most recent instance in which the Habs won it all.
Stubbs writes that an official announcement is expected “in the next few days.”
The 2011 Heritage Classic is set to take place at McMahon Stadium at the University of Calgary on February 20th. Expect more coverage of the game as the event approaches.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7