Report: Flames, Canadiens will stage alumni game for ’86 Cup Finals during 2011 Heritage Classic weekend
Jan 18, 2011, 1:01 AM EDT
The (modern) Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals weren’t the only teams to play at Heinz Field during the 2011 Winter Classic as Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis, Peter Bondra and other retired stars skated again during an alumni game. It looks like the 2011 Heritage Classic between the Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens will hold a similar event, at least if rumors are correct.
Dave Stubbs from Habs Inside/Out reports that the Flames and Habs will invite alumni from the 1986 Stanley Cup finals series to play in a game on February 19th. That ’86 series is remembered for Patrick Roy’s Ken Dryden-like Stanley Cup run and was the second most recent instance in which the Habs won it all.
Stubbs writes that an official announcement is expected “in the next few days.”
The 2011 Heritage Classic is set to take place at McMahon Stadium at the University of Calgary on February 20th. Expect more coverage of the game as the event approaches.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)