Jan 18, 2011, 10:35 PM EST
When you come to the NHL as a rookie, it can be tough to make an impression sometimes. When you’re on a team with the likes of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Jordan Staal getting noticed can be a lot more difficult. For Mark Letestu, his work this year to chip in while injuries to all three of those superstars have sat out with injuries.
The Penguins rewarded Letestu with a two-year contract extension worth $1.25 million, $625,000 against the cap. Letestu’s efforts as a winger and occasional center have been solid with no letdown this season. With the Pens looking for consistent play from players that aren’t superstars, Letestu stepping in and playing mostly mistake-free hockey while adding nine goals and ten assists has been a real boost to their lineup.
With Letestu’s deal was expiring after this season, so it’ll be interesting to see if the boost in confidence he gets from having the Penguins lock him up and believe in him gives him a boost. The Pens could always use a little bit extra with Crosby still out and Malkin slumping.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)