Jan 18, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
When you come to the NHL as a rookie, it can be tough to make an impression sometimes. When you’re on a team with the likes of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Jordan Staal getting noticed can be a lot more difficult. For Mark Letestu, his work this year to chip in while injuries to all three of those superstars have sat out with injuries.
The Penguins rewarded Letestu with a two-year contract extension worth $1.25 million, $625,000 against the cap. Letestu’s efforts as a winger and occasional center have been solid with no letdown this season. With the Pens looking for consistent play from players that aren’t superstars, Letestu stepping in and playing mostly mistake-free hockey while adding nine goals and ten assists has been a real boost to their lineup.
With Letestu’s deal was expiring after this season, so it’ll be interesting to see if the boost in confidence he gets from having the Penguins lock him up and believe in him gives him a boost. The Pens could always use a little bit extra with Crosby still out and Malkin slumping.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)