Jan 18, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
When you come to the NHL as a rookie, it can be tough to make an impression sometimes. When you’re on a team with the likes of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Jordan Staal getting noticed can be a lot more difficult. For Mark Letestu, his work this year to chip in while injuries to all three of those superstars have sat out with injuries.
The Penguins rewarded Letestu with a two-year contract extension worth $1.25 million, $625,000 against the cap. Letestu’s efforts as a winger and occasional center have been solid with no letdown this season. With the Pens looking for consistent play from players that aren’t superstars, Letestu stepping in and playing mostly mistake-free hockey while adding nine goals and ten assists has been a real boost to their lineup.
With Letestu’s deal was expiring after this season, so it’ll be interesting to see if the boost in confidence he gets from having the Penguins lock him up and believe in him gives him a boost. The Pens could always use a little bit extra with Crosby still out and Malkin slumping.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 16
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)