Jan 18, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
When you come to the NHL as a rookie, it can be tough to make an impression sometimes. When you’re on a team with the likes of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Jordan Staal getting noticed can be a lot more difficult. For Mark Letestu, his work this year to chip in while injuries to all three of those superstars have sat out with injuries.
The Penguins rewarded Letestu with a two-year contract extension worth $1.25 million, $625,000 against the cap. Letestu’s efforts as a winger and occasional center have been solid with no letdown this season. With the Pens looking for consistent play from players that aren’t superstars, Letestu stepping in and playing mostly mistake-free hockey while adding nine goals and ten assists has been a real boost to their lineup.
With Letestu’s deal was expiring after this season, so it’ll be interesting to see if the boost in confidence he gets from having the Penguins lock him up and believe in him gives him a boost. The Pens could always use a little bit extra with Crosby still out and Malkin slumping.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)