Jan 18, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
As we noted earlier, the NHL held a disciplinary hearing with San Jose Sharks forward Scott Nichol for his elbow to the head of Phoenix Coyotes defenseman David Schlemko today. TSN’s Gord Miller reports that the rugged Sharks forward received a four-game suspension for the infraction.
Nichol will be unavailable for a road game against the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday, a home game against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday, a road game against the Los Angeles Kings on January 26th and a home game against the Phoenix Coyotes on February 1st. He will be available for the team’s upcoming seven-game road trip, which starts against the Ducks on February 2nd.
Video of the hit hasn’t surfaced just yet.
The Sharks already added some players to take his place, though, as they acquired Ben Eager in a trade and claimed Kyle Wellwood off of waivers. Nichol isn’t a major player for the team, but does the kind of dirty work that opens things up for the team’s star players. San Jose probably hopes that Eager can fill some of that void while bringing an even larger physical edge.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 0
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)