Jan 18, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
As we noted earlier, the NHL held a disciplinary hearing with San Jose Sharks forward Scott Nichol for his elbow to the head of Phoenix Coyotes defenseman David Schlemko today. TSN’s Gord Miller reports that the rugged Sharks forward received a four-game suspension for the infraction.
Nichol will be unavailable for a road game against the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday, a home game against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday, a road game against the Los Angeles Kings on January 26th and a home game against the Phoenix Coyotes on February 1st. He will be available for the team’s upcoming seven-game road trip, which starts against the Ducks on February 2nd.
Video of the hit hasn’t surfaced just yet.
The Sharks already added some players to take his place, though, as they acquired Ben Eager in a trade and claimed Kyle Wellwood off of waivers. Nichol isn’t a major player for the team, but does the kind of dirty work that opens things up for the team’s star players. San Jose probably hopes that Eager can fill some of that void while bringing an even larger physical edge.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)