Jan 18, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
As we noted earlier, the NHL held a disciplinary hearing with San Jose Sharks forward Scott Nichol for his elbow to the head of Phoenix Coyotes defenseman David Schlemko today. TSN’s Gord Miller reports that the rugged Sharks forward received a four-game suspension for the infraction.
Nichol will be unavailable for a road game against the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday, a home game against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday, a road game against the Los Angeles Kings on January 26th and a home game against the Phoenix Coyotes on February 1st. He will be available for the team’s upcoming seven-game road trip, which starts against the Ducks on February 2nd.
Video of the hit hasn’t surfaced just yet.
The Sharks already added some players to take his place, though, as they acquired Ben Eager in a trade and claimed Kyle Wellwood off of waivers. Nichol isn’t a major player for the team, but does the kind of dirty work that opens things up for the team’s star players. San Jose probably hopes that Eager can fill some of that void while bringing an even larger physical edge.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)