Jan 18, 2011, 1:44 PM EST
As we noted earlier, the NHL held a disciplinary hearing with San Jose Sharks forward Scott Nichol for his elbow to the head of Phoenix Coyotes defenseman David Schlemko today. TSN’s Gord Miller reports that the rugged Sharks forward received a four-game suspension for the infraction.
Nichol will be unavailable for a road game against the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday, a home game against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday, a road game against the Los Angeles Kings on January 26th and a home game against the Phoenix Coyotes on February 1st. He will be available for the team’s upcoming seven-game road trip, which starts against the Ducks on February 2nd.
Video of the hit hasn’t surfaced just yet.
The Sharks already added some players to take his place, though, as they acquired Ben Eager in a trade and claimed Kyle Wellwood off of waivers. Nichol isn’t a major player for the team, but does the kind of dirty work that opens things up for the team’s star players. San Jose probably hopes that Eager can fill some of that void while bringing an even larger physical edge.
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 72
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (72)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)