Jan 18, 2011, 7:09 PM EDT
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
The January 10-16th Save of the Week nominees list was full of borderline household names in hockey. The group of seven goalies included Jaroslav Halak, Ryan Miller, Tim Thomas, Roberto Luongo, Marc-Andre Fleury, Nikolai Khabibulin and … Henrik Karlsson.
OK, so not every goalie was a big name, but that’s as successful a group as you can ask for, with Stanley Cups and Vezina Trophies galore.
Halak might not own either one of those trophies but his 2010 playoff performances made him well-known even to many casual hockey fans. Perhaps that explains his win, although his save probably speaks for itself.
Here are the poll results:
Here is video of the save.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 0
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 13
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31