Jan 18, 2011, 7:09 PM EST
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
The January 10-16th Save of the Week nominees list was full of borderline household names in hockey. The group of seven goalies included Jaroslav Halak, Ryan Miller, Tim Thomas, Roberto Luongo, Marc-Andre Fleury, Nikolai Khabibulin and … Henrik Karlsson.
OK, so not every goalie was a big name, but that’s as successful a group as you can ask for, with Stanley Cups and Vezina Trophies galore.
Halak might not own either one of those trophies but his 2010 playoff performances made him well-known even to many casual hockey fans. Perhaps that explains his win, although his save probably speaks for itself.
Here are the poll results:
Here is video of the save.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)