Jan 17, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Some players can go a lifetime before netting a hat trick in the NHL. For a guy like Zdeno Chara goals haven’t really been a major part of his game. With a booming slap shot and an ability to make room for himself just by being 6’9″ with a reach that magnifies his size, you’d think that at some point during his 13-year career at some point he would’ve been fortunate enough to find the net three times in a game.
You’d be wrong in assuming that – that is until today.
During the Bruins 7-0 rout of Carolina, Chara was able to force Hurricanes starting goalie Cam Ward out of the game with a power play blast in the first period and made backup goalie Justin Peters’ life miserable by adding two more on the day to earn his first career hat trick. The three goals gives Chara ten on the season and his seventh season with double-digit goals. For a defenseman, scoring as often as that seems almost unfair. When you’re capable of ripping 100 mph slap shots and can block out the sun, it makes you seem other-worldly. Here’s video of Chara’s accomplishment today.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)