Jan 17, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Some players can go a lifetime before netting a hat trick in the NHL. For a guy like Zdeno Chara goals haven’t really been a major part of his game. With a booming slap shot and an ability to make room for himself just by being 6’9″ with a reach that magnifies his size, you’d think that at some point during his 13-year career at some point he would’ve been fortunate enough to find the net three times in a game.
You’d be wrong in assuming that – that is until today.
During the Bruins 7-0 rout of Carolina, Chara was able to force Hurricanes starting goalie Cam Ward out of the game with a power play blast in the first period and made backup goalie Justin Peters’ life miserable by adding two more on the day to earn his first career hat trick. The three goals gives Chara ten on the season and his seventh season with double-digit goals. For a defenseman, scoring as often as that seems almost unfair. When you’re capable of ripping 100 mph slap shots and can block out the sun, it makes you seem other-worldly. Here’s video of Chara’s accomplishment today.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)