Jan 17, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Some players can go a lifetime before netting a hat trick in the NHL. For a guy like Zdeno Chara goals haven’t really been a major part of his game. With a booming slap shot and an ability to make room for himself just by being 6’9″ with a reach that magnifies his size, you’d think that at some point during his 13-year career at some point he would’ve been fortunate enough to find the net three times in a game.
You’d be wrong in assuming that – that is until today.
During the Bruins 7-0 rout of Carolina, Chara was able to force Hurricanes starting goalie Cam Ward out of the game with a power play blast in the first period and made backup goalie Justin Peters’ life miserable by adding two more on the day to earn his first career hat trick. The three goals gives Chara ten on the season and his seventh season with double-digit goals. For a defenseman, scoring as often as that seems almost unfair. When you’re capable of ripping 100 mph slap shots and can block out the sun, it makes you seem other-worldly. Here’s video of Chara’s accomplishment today.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)