Jan 17, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
If Thrashers fans are worried about Ondrej Pavelec getting overworked, they might want to start stressing out a bit more now. Pavelec’s backup Chris Mason, who left his start Saturday night with injury, will be out for an undetermined amount of time with a sprained MCL.
Before the season started, Mason was penciled in to be the Thrashers starting goalie but the play of youngster Pavelec in training camp and throughout this season has cemented him in as the top goalie. Mason was getting a rare start against the Stars on Saturday when he was bumped into by a teammate and went down.
Taking Mason’s spot as Pavelec’s caddy will be former standout at Denver University Peter Mannino. Mannino has been holding things down in the AHL for a couple years now in the Atlanta organization. He’s played in four career NHL games, three with the Isles and one with Atlanta.
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 0
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 5
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 48
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (48)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (38)