Jan 17, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
If Thrashers fans are worried about Ondrej Pavelec getting overworked, they might want to start stressing out a bit more now. Pavelec’s backup Chris Mason, who left his start Saturday night with injury, will be out for an undetermined amount of time with a sprained MCL.
Before the season started, Mason was penciled in to be the Thrashers starting goalie but the play of youngster Pavelec in training camp and throughout this season has cemented him in as the top goalie. Mason was getting a rare start against the Stars on Saturday when he was bumped into by a teammate and went down.
Taking Mason’s spot as Pavelec’s caddy will be former standout at Denver University Peter Mannino. Mannino has been holding things down in the AHL for a couple years now in the Atlanta organization. He’s played in four career NHL games, three with the Isles and one with Atlanta.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)