Jan 17, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
If Thrashers fans are worried about Ondrej Pavelec getting overworked, they might want to start stressing out a bit more now. Pavelec’s backup Chris Mason, who left his start Saturday night with injury, will be out for an undetermined amount of time with a sprained MCL.
Before the season started, Mason was penciled in to be the Thrashers starting goalie but the play of youngster Pavelec in training camp and throughout this season has cemented him in as the top goalie. Mason was getting a rare start against the Stars on Saturday when he was bumped into by a teammate and went down.
Taking Mason’s spot as Pavelec’s caddy will be former standout at Denver University Peter Mannino. Mannino has been holding things down in the AHL for a couple years now in the Atlanta organization. He’s played in four career NHL games, three with the Isles and one with Atlanta.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)