Jan 17, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
If Thrashers fans are worried about Ondrej Pavelec getting overworked, they might want to start stressing out a bit more now. Pavelec’s backup Chris Mason, who left his start Saturday night with injury, will be out for an undetermined amount of time with a sprained MCL.
Before the season started, Mason was penciled in to be the Thrashers starting goalie but the play of youngster Pavelec in training camp and throughout this season has cemented him in as the top goalie. Mason was getting a rare start against the Stars on Saturday when he was bumped into by a teammate and went down.
Taking Mason’s spot as Pavelec’s caddy will be former standout at Denver University Peter Mannino. Mannino has been holding things down in the AHL for a couple years now in the Atlanta organization. He’s played in four career NHL games, three with the Isles and one with Atlanta.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)