Jan 17, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
They often say that the posts are a goalie’s best friend but for Nikolai Khabibulin, his rookie defenseman Jeff Petry was his best friend for one sequence during the Oilers 3-2 loss to Anaheim.
Ducks forward Jason Blake blitzed up the left wing side to let loose with a shot Khabibulin stopped. The rebound from the shot came right out to Saku Koivu who then fired a shot glove side on Khabibulin who made a stellar reach to prevent a goal.
The puck stayed loose, however, and Koivu was able to gather it and looked to stuff it past a sprawled out and prone Khabibulin. Petry then took up the cause going into a baseball slide across the crease to block Koivu’s put back attempt. A truly remarkable sequence.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)