Jan 17, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
They often say that the posts are a goalie’s best friend but for Nikolai Khabibulin, his rookie defenseman Jeff Petry was his best friend for one sequence during the Oilers 3-2 loss to Anaheim.
Ducks forward Jason Blake blitzed up the left wing side to let loose with a shot Khabibulin stopped. The rebound from the shot came right out to Saku Koivu who then fired a shot glove side on Khabibulin who made a stellar reach to prevent a goal.
The puck stayed loose, however, and Koivu was able to gather it and looked to stuff it past a sprawled out and prone Khabibulin. Petry then took up the cause going into a baseball slide across the crease to block Koivu’s put back attempt. A truly remarkable sequence.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7