Jan 17, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
They often say that the posts are a goalie’s best friend but for Nikolai Khabibulin, his rookie defenseman Jeff Petry was his best friend for one sequence during the Oilers 3-2 loss to Anaheim.
Ducks forward Jason Blake blitzed up the left wing side to let loose with a shot Khabibulin stopped. The rebound from the shot came right out to Saku Koivu who then fired a shot glove side on Khabibulin who made a stellar reach to prevent a goal.
The puck stayed loose, however, and Koivu was able to gather it and looked to stuff it past a sprawled out and prone Khabibulin. Petry then took up the cause going into a baseball slide across the crease to block Koivu’s put back attempt. A truly remarkable sequence.
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)