Jan 17, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
They often say that the posts are a goalie’s best friend but for Nikolai Khabibulin, his rookie defenseman Jeff Petry was his best friend for one sequence during the Oilers 3-2 loss to Anaheim.
Ducks forward Jason Blake blitzed up the left wing side to let loose with a shot Khabibulin stopped. The rebound from the shot came right out to Saku Koivu who then fired a shot glove side on Khabibulin who made a stellar reach to prevent a goal.
The puck stayed loose, however, and Koivu was able to gather it and looked to stuff it past a sprawled out and prone Khabibulin. Petry then took up the cause going into a baseball slide across the crease to block Koivu’s put back attempt. A truly remarkable sequence.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)