Jan 17, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
They often say that the posts are a goalie’s best friend but for Nikolai Khabibulin, his rookie defenseman Jeff Petry was his best friend for one sequence during the Oilers 3-2 loss to Anaheim.
Ducks forward Jason Blake blitzed up the left wing side to let loose with a shot Khabibulin stopped. The rebound from the shot came right out to Saku Koivu who then fired a shot glove side on Khabibulin who made a stellar reach to prevent a goal.
The puck stayed loose, however, and Koivu was able to gather it and looked to stuff it past a sprawled out and prone Khabibulin. Petry then took up the cause going into a baseball slide across the crease to block Koivu’s put back attempt. A truly remarkable sequence.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47