Jan 17, 2011, 10:03 PM EDT
While some of his mistakes – or, at least his turnovers – might be self-inflicted, it’s tough not to sympathize with Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney. Shortly after signing a six-year, $24 million contract with the team that drafted him, Whitney was traded from the Pittsburgh Penguins to the Anaheim Ducks. The Penguins proceeded to win the Stanley Cup that season.
Whitney’s strong offensive game couldn’t overshadow his defensive mistakes in Anaheim either, as they team eventually packaged him in a trade deadline deal to Edmonton for speedy blueliner Lubomir Visnovsky.
While the quality of his teammates declined, Whitney began to really get his legs under him in Edmonton. He had a very impressive 2010-11 season going late into the holidays, as he scored two goals and 25 assists for 27 points in only 35 games. Unfortunately getting his legs under him proved painful, as the offensive defenseman might miss most (if not all) of this season’s remaining games after undergoing ankle surgery on Monday.
The ankle injury kept Whitney out of action since December 28th and it seems like the best case scenario is that he’ll only play a handful of games at the end of the season. It’s tough news for a defenseman who has been a valuable piece for the Oilers.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 11
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 10
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)