Jan 17, 2011, 11:40 PM EDT
Maybe the Devils are only the second worst team in the NHL. Then again, perhaps they’re waking up in general, as they’ve won four of their last five games (4-0-1). They’re now 4-7-1 with Jacques Lemaire in charge which is … better. I guess.
The Sharks are on a two-game winning streak after playing some awful hockey lately, so maybe they’re turning a corner. Patrick Marleau scored a goal in his 1,000th career game while Dany Heatley scored a goal and an assist and Antti Niemi made 34 saves to halt the red-hot Coyotes at an odd time for a hockey game. Logan Couture scored the game-winner for San Jose.
The Habs ran up a 4-0 lead against the Flames before allowing Calgary to tie it up, but P.K. Subban scored an overtime game-winner to help Montreal save face. All four available goalies made an appearance in this game, meaning that Carey Price has appeared in every home game for the Canadiens.
After two scoreless periods, the two teams made up for that inactivity by scoring twice each. Scott Clemmensen fell just short of earning yet another win in Tomas Vokoun’s absence but Ondrej Pavelec deserved the win, stopping 38 out of 40 shots. Bryan Little and Alex Burmistrov scored on the shootout to give the Thrashers the win while Mike Santorelli scored the Panthers’ only shootout goal.
Jamie Langenbrunner celebrated his 1,000th regular season appearance by scoring a game-winning goal for the Stars. Yet with most of the team’s wins, it really came down to Brad Richards and Kari Lehtonen. Richards earned the primary assists for both Dallas goals while Lehtonen stopped 23 shots and also turned aside a Jack Johnson penalty shot with less than a minute remaining in the game to seal the Stars’ victory.
There wasn’t a big gap between these two teams, but as usual, the Stars have been just a little better than the Kings.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 33
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 31
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)