Jan 17, 2011, 11:40 PM EST
Maybe the Devils are only the second worst team in the NHL. Then again, perhaps they’re waking up in general, as they’ve won four of their last five games (4-0-1). They’re now 4-7-1 with Jacques Lemaire in charge which is … better. I guess.
The Sharks are on a two-game winning streak after playing some awful hockey lately, so maybe they’re turning a corner. Patrick Marleau scored a goal in his 1,000th career game while Dany Heatley scored a goal and an assist and Antti Niemi made 34 saves to halt the red-hot Coyotes at an odd time for a hockey game. Logan Couture scored the game-winner for San Jose.
The Habs ran up a 4-0 lead against the Flames before allowing Calgary to tie it up, but P.K. Subban scored an overtime game-winner to help Montreal save face. All four available goalies made an appearance in this game, meaning that Carey Price has appeared in every home game for the Canadiens.
After two scoreless periods, the two teams made up for that inactivity by scoring twice each. Scott Clemmensen fell just short of earning yet another win in Tomas Vokoun’s absence but Ondrej Pavelec deserved the win, stopping 38 out of 40 shots. Bryan Little and Alex Burmistrov scored on the shootout to give the Thrashers the win while Mike Santorelli scored the Panthers’ only shootout goal.
Jamie Langenbrunner celebrated his 1,000th regular season appearance by scoring a game-winning goal for the Stars. Yet with most of the team’s wins, it really came down to Brad Richards and Kari Lehtonen. Richards earned the primary assists for both Dallas goals while Lehtonen stopped 23 shots and also turned aside a Jack Johnson penalty shot with less than a minute remaining in the game to seal the Stars’ victory.
There wasn’t a big gap between these two teams, but as usual, the Stars have been just a little better than the Kings.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 9
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 42
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 45