Jan 17, 2011, 9:36 PM EDT
When it comes to sports uniforms, simpler is almost always better. Maybe that’s why teams in just about every league are gradually (or some might even argue rapidly) going back to “retro” designs, even if there are occasions in which retro only means the ’90s.
Jersey-obsessed hockey blog Icethetics made some educated guesses that 11 NHL teams might change one of their three sweaters next season, whether those alterations come in their home, away or alternate (“third”) jerseys.
The author believes that the Atlanta Thrashers, Buffalo Sabres, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay Lightning and Toronto Maple Leafs will change their look in some way.
Here are a few stray thoughts on some of the teams’ jerseys. Click here for further discussion on unis from Icethetics.
- Thank goodness that the Sabres came to their senses over the years, as they went from the shameful Buffaslug to the widely missed old design.
- It’s cool that the Kings are about to leave their bland purple-and-black design behind, but why not just go all the way back to the Gretzky-era duds instead of going almost all the way back with their current alternate jerseys?
- Best (potential) news of all: the Senators and Lightning might do away with their respective (and goofy) “Sens” and “Bolts” third jerseys. What a relief.
- I agree with Icethetics that the best Panthers jerseys came from their original days, modeled by the likes of John Vanbiesbrouck. It would be great if they went with that look … especially if they force their goalies to steal the Bieser’s sweat panther head mask too.
Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on some of the possible changes. Naturally, those changes are far from official, but we’ll clue you in to new duds as they come along.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)