Jan 17, 2011, 9:36 PM EDT
When it comes to sports uniforms, simpler is almost always better. Maybe that’s why teams in just about every league are gradually (or some might even argue rapidly) going back to “retro” designs, even if there are occasions in which retro only means the ’90s.
Jersey-obsessed hockey blog Icethetics made some educated guesses that 11 NHL teams might change one of their three sweaters next season, whether those alterations come in their home, away or alternate (“third”) jerseys.
The author believes that the Atlanta Thrashers, Buffalo Sabres, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay Lightning and Toronto Maple Leafs will change their look in some way.
Here are a few stray thoughts on some of the teams’ jerseys. Click here for further discussion on unis from Icethetics.
- Thank goodness that the Sabres came to their senses over the years, as they went from the shameful Buffaslug to the widely missed old design.
- It’s cool that the Kings are about to leave their bland purple-and-black design behind, but why not just go all the way back to the Gretzky-era duds instead of going almost all the way back with their current alternate jerseys?
- Best (potential) news of all: the Senators and Lightning might do away with their respective (and goofy) “Sens” and “Bolts” third jerseys. What a relief.
- I agree with Icethetics that the best Panthers jerseys came from their original days, modeled by the likes of John Vanbiesbrouck. It would be great if they went with that look … especially if they force their goalies to steal the Bieser’s sweat panther head mask too.
Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on some of the possible changes. Naturally, those changes are far from official, but we’ll clue you in to new duds as they come along.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)