Jan 17, 2011, 9:36 PM EST
When it comes to sports uniforms, simpler is almost always better. Maybe that’s why teams in just about every league are gradually (or some might even argue rapidly) going back to “retro” designs, even if there are occasions in which retro only means the ’90s.
Jersey-obsessed hockey blog Icethetics made some educated guesses that 11 NHL teams might change one of their three sweaters next season, whether those alterations come in their home, away or alternate (“third”) jerseys.
The author believes that the Atlanta Thrashers, Buffalo Sabres, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay Lightning and Toronto Maple Leafs will change their look in some way.
Here are a few stray thoughts on some of the teams’ jerseys. Click here for further discussion on unis from Icethetics.
- Thank goodness that the Sabres came to their senses over the years, as they went from the shameful Buffaslug to the widely missed old design.
- It’s cool that the Kings are about to leave their bland purple-and-black design behind, but why not just go all the way back to the Gretzky-era duds instead of going almost all the way back with their current alternate jerseys?
- Best (potential) news of all: the Senators and Lightning might do away with their respective (and goofy) “Sens” and “Bolts” third jerseys. What a relief.
- I agree with Icethetics that the best Panthers jerseys came from their original days, modeled by the likes of John Vanbiesbrouck. It would be great if they went with that look … especially if they force their goalies to steal the Bieser’s sweat panther head mask too.
Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on some of the possible changes. Naturally, those changes are far from official, but we’ll clue you in to new duds as they come along.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)