Jan 17, 2011, 9:36 PM EDT
When it comes to sports uniforms, simpler is almost always better. Maybe that’s why teams in just about every league are gradually (or some might even argue rapidly) going back to “retro” designs, even if there are occasions in which retro only means the ’90s.
Jersey-obsessed hockey blog Icethetics made some educated guesses that 11 NHL teams might change one of their three sweaters next season, whether those alterations come in their home, away or alternate (“third”) jerseys.
The author believes that the Atlanta Thrashers, Buffalo Sabres, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Nashville Predators, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay Lightning and Toronto Maple Leafs will change their look in some way.
Here are a few stray thoughts on some of the teams’ jerseys. Click here for further discussion on unis from Icethetics.
- Thank goodness that the Sabres came to their senses over the years, as they went from the shameful Buffaslug to the widely missed old design.
- It’s cool that the Kings are about to leave their bland purple-and-black design behind, but why not just go all the way back to the Gretzky-era duds instead of going almost all the way back with their current alternate jerseys?
- Best (potential) news of all: the Senators and Lightning might do away with their respective (and goofy) “Sens” and “Bolts” third jerseys. What a relief.
- I agree with Icethetics that the best Panthers jerseys came from their original days, modeled by the likes of John Vanbiesbrouck. It would be great if they went with that look … especially if they force their goalies to steal the Bieser’s sweat panther head mask too.
Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on some of the possible changes. Naturally, those changes are far from official, but we’ll clue you in to new duds as they come along.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2