Jan 17, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
They call him “Juice” in Carolina and for Jussi Jokinen his return to the Hurricanes lineup has been a huge boost of late. With the Hurricanes going 2-1-0 this past week, Jokinen’s efforts scoring four goals and three assists did not go unnoticed by the NHL as he was named the NHL’s #1 star of the week. Seven points in three games is pretty impressive and with the Hurricanes now just one point behind Atlanta in the race for the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference and seven points behind Tampa Bay and Washington for the Southeast Division lead, it’s time people started taking notice of the Hurricanes. The spark Jokinen has provided of late has been key to their rise up the standings.
Boston’s Patrice Bergeron did pretty well himself also earning four goals and three assists last week in helping the Bruins go 3-1-0 last week and earning the #2 star of the week. Bergeron’s play has been huge for Boston with Marc Savard having missed a good chunk of the season and David Krejci struggling. It’s taken a couple years, but perhaps this is the real Patrice Bergeron we’ve been waiting to see. A guy you can put on the ice in any situation and see positive results out of.
Phoenix goalie Ilya Bryzgalov earned #3 star status for the week helping the Coyotes to a 3-0-0 record during that time. Sporting a healthy 2.00 goals against average with a .938 save percentage will make sure you get noticed. Bryzgalov stopped 91 of 97 shots in the week and got the Coyotes to within four points of Dallas for the lead in the Pacific Division.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)