Jan 17, 2011, 8:04 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers feature an interesting mix of tough guys and talented players, so perhaps it makes sense than undersized forward Danny Briere keeps getting in the biggest trouble so far this season.
Earlier in 2010-11, Briere received a three-game suspension for a cross-check on New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen. The small scorer received another bit of discipline from the league today, as the NHL handed him a $1,000 fine for his involvement in an odd incident yesterday (according to the Philadelphia Sports Daily).
Despite being on the team’s bench, Briere and Scott Hartnell took swings at New York Rangers forward Brandon Prust after he nailed Kimmo Timonen with a slightly late hit in the waning moments of the Flyers’ 3-2 win on Sunday.
Briere said that he threw punches from the bench because getting on the ice would have resulted in an “I-don’t-know-how-many-games suspension.”
“There was a few guys yelling at him, but what are we gonna do?” Briere said. “We can’t jump on the ice because it’s an I-don’t-know-how-many-games suspension, and there’s not much we can do at that point other than hoping Kimmo would get up and be fine.”
Video evidence appears to show otherwise.
“Certainly he was trying to hit Kimmo as hard as he could, and our guys didn’t like that,” Ville Leino said. “They gave a little bit back, but I think it’s just part of a tough hockey game.”
It’s another example of the fine and suspension oddness of the NHL. Apparently Hartnell got off without any discipline because his punch was less accurate than Briere’s punch (or something). Was the fine appropriate, should he have received a suspension or nothing at all? Let us know in the comments.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 3
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 52
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)