Jan 17, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers feature an interesting mix of tough guys and talented players, so perhaps it makes sense than undersized forward Danny Briere keeps getting in the biggest trouble so far this season.
Earlier in 2010-11, Briere received a three-game suspension for a cross-check on New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen. The small scorer received another bit of discipline from the league today, as the NHL handed him a $1,000 fine for his involvement in an odd incident yesterday (according to the Philadelphia Sports Daily).
Despite being on the team’s bench, Briere and Scott Hartnell took swings at New York Rangers forward Brandon Prust after he nailed Kimmo Timonen with a slightly late hit in the waning moments of the Flyers’ 3-2 win on Sunday.
Briere said that he threw punches from the bench because getting on the ice would have resulted in an “I-don’t-know-how-many-games suspension.”
“There was a few guys yelling at him, but what are we gonna do?” Briere said. “We can’t jump on the ice because it’s an I-don’t-know-how-many-games suspension, and there’s not much we can do at that point other than hoping Kimmo would get up and be fine.”
Video evidence appears to show otherwise.
“Certainly he was trying to hit Kimmo as hard as he could, and our guys didn’t like that,” Ville Leino said. “They gave a little bit back, but I think it’s just part of a tough hockey game.”
It’s another example of the fine and suspension oddness of the NHL. Apparently Hartnell got off without any discipline because his punch was less accurate than Briere’s punch (or something). Was the fine appropriate, should he have received a suspension or nothing at all? Let us know in the comments.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 24
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 13
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54