Jan 17, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers feature an interesting mix of tough guys and talented players, so perhaps it makes sense than undersized forward Danny Briere keeps getting in the biggest trouble so far this season.
Earlier in 2010-11, Briere received a three-game suspension for a cross-check on New York Islanders forward Frans Nielsen. The small scorer received another bit of discipline from the league today, as the NHL handed him a $1,000 fine for his involvement in an odd incident yesterday (according to the Philadelphia Sports Daily).
Despite being on the team’s bench, Briere and Scott Hartnell took swings at New York Rangers forward Brandon Prust after he nailed Kimmo Timonen with a slightly late hit in the waning moments of the Flyers’ 3-2 win on Sunday.
Briere said that he threw punches from the bench because getting on the ice would have resulted in an “I-don’t-know-how-many-games suspension.”
“There was a few guys yelling at him, but what are we gonna do?” Briere said. “We can’t jump on the ice because it’s an I-don’t-know-how-many-games suspension, and there’s not much we can do at that point other than hoping Kimmo would get up and be fine.”
Video evidence appears to show otherwise.
“Certainly he was trying to hit Kimmo as hard as he could, and our guys didn’t like that,” Ville Leino said. “They gave a little bit back, but I think it’s just part of a tough hockey game.”
It’s another example of the fine and suspension oddness of the NHL. Apparently Hartnell got off without any discipline because his punch was less accurate than Briere’s punch (or something). Was the fine appropriate, should he have received a suspension or nothing at all? Let us know in the comments.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (43)