Jan 17, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
The Flyers have been playing some fantastic hockey of late and now they’re that much closer to getting a key player back in the lineup. Defenseman Chris Pronger is practicing hard with the team this week and is improving quickly. His improvement has gotten so good of late that it’s possible he’ll suit up for Philly on Thursday night against Ottawa.
Pronger won’t be available for their game tomorrow night against Washington, but after visiting with the doctors on Wednesday, that’ll determine whether he’s able to go on Thursday. If he’s not ready by then, the weekend awaits with a game at home against New Jersey on Saturday and NBC’s Game of the Week on Sunday in a Stanley Cup rematch in Chicago against the Blackhawks.
With Pronger out, the Flyers have gotten defensive replacement action from both Oskars Bartulis and Matt Walker. Pronger being out of the lineup since mid-December has done little to slow them down as they’re atop the Eastern Conference with 63 points. With Pronger back in the lineup, however, expect goalies Brian Boucher and Sergei Bobrovsky to be the benefactors of his presence.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 2
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)