Jan 17, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
The Flyers have been playing some fantastic hockey of late and now they’re that much closer to getting a key player back in the lineup. Defenseman Chris Pronger is practicing hard with the team this week and is improving quickly. His improvement has gotten so good of late that it’s possible he’ll suit up for Philly on Thursday night against Ottawa.
Pronger won’t be available for their game tomorrow night against Washington, but after visiting with the doctors on Wednesday, that’ll determine whether he’s able to go on Thursday. If he’s not ready by then, the weekend awaits with a game at home against New Jersey on Saturday and NBC’s Game of the Week on Sunday in a Stanley Cup rematch in Chicago against the Blackhawks.
With Pronger out, the Flyers have gotten defensive replacement action from both Oskars Bartulis and Matt Walker. Pronger being out of the lineup since mid-December has done little to slow them down as they’re atop the Eastern Conference with 63 points. With Pronger back in the lineup, however, expect goalies Brian Boucher and Sergei Bobrovsky to be the benefactors of his presence.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 55
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 86
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control