Jan 17, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
Today’s match-up between Boston and Carolina shaped up to be a great one with Tim Thomas facing off with Cam Ward. Just 11:28 into the first period, Cam Ward was exiting the game after giving up two quick goals to Mark Stuart and Zdeno Chara and the rout was on as the Bruins took out Carolina 7-0. The goal for Chara would be his first of three on his way to a hat trick, the first in his career. Patrice Bergeron added a goal and an assist as the Bruins spread out the scoring aside from Chara.
Tim Thomas, meanwhile, cruised to a 31-save shutout, his seventh shutout of the year to earn his 21st victory of the season. Yes, one-third of his wins this year have come via shutout. A truly astounding statistic for the 36 year-old goalie. His 1.88 goals against average and .944 save percentage this year put him light years ahead of the competition this season.
For Boston it’s their fourth win in five games and gets them back on track after faltering against Pittsburgh on Saturday. Carolina will have to regroup fast as they’ll face the Bruins tomorrow night in Raleigh on the back end of this home-and-home series. Cam Ward getting pulled so early in this game was likely done both due to ineffectiveness but also to preserve his energy for tomorrow’s game. Justin Peters did not fare well replacing Ward, allowing five goals and collecting two minor penalties as well, one for holding the other for roughing.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)