Jan 17, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
Today’s match-up between Boston and Carolina shaped up to be a great one with Tim Thomas facing off with Cam Ward. Just 11:28 into the first period, Cam Ward was exiting the game after giving up two quick goals to Mark Stuart and Zdeno Chara and the rout was on as the Bruins took out Carolina 7-0. The goal for Chara would be his first of three on his way to a hat trick, the first in his career. Patrice Bergeron added a goal and an assist as the Bruins spread out the scoring aside from Chara.
Tim Thomas, meanwhile, cruised to a 31-save shutout, his seventh shutout of the year to earn his 21st victory of the season. Yes, one-third of his wins this year have come via shutout. A truly astounding statistic for the 36 year-old goalie. His 1.88 goals against average and .944 save percentage this year put him light years ahead of the competition this season.
For Boston it’s their fourth win in five games and gets them back on track after faltering against Pittsburgh on Saturday. Carolina will have to regroup fast as they’ll face the Bruins tomorrow night in Raleigh on the back end of this home-and-home series. Cam Ward getting pulled so early in this game was likely done both due to ineffectiveness but also to preserve his energy for tomorrow’s game. Justin Peters did not fare well replacing Ward, allowing five goals and collecting two minor penalties as well, one for holding the other for roughing.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 5
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)