Jan 16, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
There were some impressive saves that didn’t make the cut, including one that followed the theme of tonight’s winner. Jonas Hiller made a gorgeous glove save on Ray Whitney during a night in which “The Wizard” ultimately earned the upper hand, as he scored two goals and one assist to cross the 900-point threshold for his career.
Ryan Miller ultimately earned Saturday’s save of the night by making a very high degree of difficulty stop. It’s tough enough to thwart a 2-on-1 break, but stopping a 2-on-0 at the NHL level is quite the feat (at least when it’s a well executed play). Miller made a great glove save as P.A. Parentau fed John Tavares for what looked like a sure thing.
Tavares ultimately had the last laugh last night though, as the talented second year player produced a natural hat trick. Since we’re so nice, we decided to throw up video of that hat trick too.
First, here’s the great Miller save:
And the Tavares natural hat trick:
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 6
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 13
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 38
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 81
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (81)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control