Jan 16, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
There were some impressive saves that didn’t make the cut, including one that followed the theme of tonight’s winner. Jonas Hiller made a gorgeous glove save on Ray Whitney during a night in which “The Wizard” ultimately earned the upper hand, as he scored two goals and one assist to cross the 900-point threshold for his career.
Ryan Miller ultimately earned Saturday’s save of the night by making a very high degree of difficulty stop. It’s tough enough to thwart a 2-on-1 break, but stopping a 2-on-0 at the NHL level is quite the feat (at least when it’s a well executed play). Miller made a great glove save as P.A. Parentau fed John Tavares for what looked like a sure thing.
Tavares ultimately had the last laugh last night though, as the talented second year player produced a natural hat trick. Since we’re so nice, we decided to throw up video of that hat trick too.
First, here’s the great Miller save:
And the Tavares natural hat trick:
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46