Jan 16, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
There were some impressive saves that didn’t make the cut, including one that followed the theme of tonight’s winner. Jonas Hiller made a gorgeous glove save on Ray Whitney during a night in which “The Wizard” ultimately earned the upper hand, as he scored two goals and one assist to cross the 900-point threshold for his career.
Ryan Miller ultimately earned Saturday’s save of the night by making a very high degree of difficulty stop. It’s tough enough to thwart a 2-on-1 break, but stopping a 2-on-0 at the NHL level is quite the feat (at least when it’s a well executed play). Miller made a great glove save as P.A. Parentau fed John Tavares for what looked like a sure thing.
Tavares ultimately had the last laugh last night though, as the talented second year player produced a natural hat trick. Since we’re so nice, we decided to throw up video of that hat trick too.
First, here’s the great Miller save:
And the Tavares natural hat trick:
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22