Jan 16, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
There were some impressive saves that didn’t make the cut, including one that followed the theme of tonight’s winner. Jonas Hiller made a gorgeous glove save on Ray Whitney during a night in which “The Wizard” ultimately earned the upper hand, as he scored two goals and one assist to cross the 900-point threshold for his career.
Ryan Miller ultimately earned Saturday’s save of the night by making a very high degree of difficulty stop. It’s tough enough to thwart a 2-on-1 break, but stopping a 2-on-0 at the NHL level is quite the feat (at least when it’s a well executed play). Miller made a great glove save as P.A. Parentau fed John Tavares for what looked like a sure thing.
Tavares ultimately had the last laugh last night though, as the talented second year player produced a natural hat trick. Since we’re so nice, we decided to throw up video of that hat trick too.
First, here’s the great Miller save:
And the Tavares natural hat trick:
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)