Jan 16, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
There were some impressive saves that didn’t make the cut, including one that followed the theme of tonight’s winner. Jonas Hiller made a gorgeous glove save on Ray Whitney during a night in which “The Wizard” ultimately earned the upper hand, as he scored two goals and one assist to cross the 900-point threshold for his career.
Ryan Miller ultimately earned Saturday’s save of the night by making a very high degree of difficulty stop. It’s tough enough to thwart a 2-on-1 break, but stopping a 2-on-0 at the NHL level is quite the feat (at least when it’s a well executed play). Miller made a great glove save as P.A. Parentau fed John Tavares for what looked like a sure thing.
Tavares ultimately had the last laugh last night though, as the talented second year player produced a natural hat trick. Since we’re so nice, we decided to throw up video of that hat trick too.
First, here’s the great Miller save:
And the Tavares natural hat trick:
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)