Premiere Games might be expanded to six teams in six cities; Could Ovechkin and Caps play in Moscow?
Jan 16, 2011, 1:53 PM EDT
While the NHL’s overseas experiments have been a bit hit or miss since the first Premiere Games in 2007 in London, the league hopes to widen its European impact by making the events bigger and bigger. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the league handed out invitations to the Anaheim Ducks, Buffalo Sabres, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers and Washington Capitals to participate in the season-opening contests.
LeBrun writes that the NHL’s tentative plan is to have those six teams play in six cities. The most enticing possibility he brought up is that Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals* might play in front of a crowd in Moscow.
* – Not to mention other popular Russians Alexander Semin and Semyon Varlamov … if they’re still with the team, that is.
The six squads haven’t officially agreed to participate just yet, but LeBrun mentions that the Rangers are another team that would make an especially large amount of sense. The reasoning is simple: Madison Square Garden is undergoing renovations reaching into mid-October, so it is logical that the Rangers might play in Europe during a chunk of that time.
The Premiere Games have their critics, but seem like an honest effort to grow the game. We’ll let you know once they go from the planning stages to something more tangible over the next few months.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)