Panthers captain Bryan McCabe expected to miss ‘several weeks’ after undergoing surgery for facial fractures
Jan 16, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
For many years, Bryan McCabe’s reputation was that of a scapegoat (or even a punchline) as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.* Yet McCabe has carved out a nice career for himself with the Florida Panthers, producing 39 and 43 point seasons while becoming the team’s captain.
The Panthers must deal with the loss of his offensive skill (21 points in 43 games) and leadership for several weeks, as coach Peter DeBoer told the Miami Herald that McCabe underwent surgery on multiple facial fractures. DeBoer said that their captain also was fighting through a broken finger.
McCabe suffered the injury during Saturday’s game against the New Jersey Devils. He underwent an X-ray during the first intermission before coming back out with a partial face shield. DeBoer didn’t provide a clear timetable for McCabe’s return other than that “several weeks” report.
* – As usual with players on that team, it often comes to one player taken far too much abuse as fans try to distract themselves from the fact that the entire team has problems (see: Lebda, Brett). McCabe logged more 28 minutes per game for the Leafs in the 2005-06 season, so clearly he was one of the team’s best options.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)