Jan 16, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If you handed out an award for the best collective effort of the night for a goal scorer, John Tavares would have been tonight’s winner thanks to his natural hat trick. (In fact, as you will see in a bit, he had a chance for more.)
This is an award for the best/most exhilarating goal of the night instead, though, and that goes to a great bit of passing by the Dallas Stars. In case you were wondering if Brad Richards get to skate with talented players, this goal puts his fantastic linemates on display. James Neal and Loui Eriksson connected on a spellbinding give and go play for Saturday’s best. The two raced down the ice on an oddman rush in which Neal hopped over Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Dustin Byfuglien, passed to Eriksson and then tapped in a one-timer once Eriksson sent it back to him. Ondrej Pavelec really had no chance to stop them.
It’s a joy to watch, as you can see from the video below.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 0
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7