Jan 16, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If you handed out an award for the best collective effort of the night for a goal scorer, John Tavares would have been tonight’s winner thanks to his natural hat trick. (In fact, as you will see in a bit, he had a chance for more.)
This is an award for the best/most exhilarating goal of the night instead, though, and that goes to a great bit of passing by the Dallas Stars. In case you were wondering if Brad Richards get to skate with talented players, this goal puts his fantastic linemates on display. James Neal and Loui Eriksson connected on a spellbinding give and go play for Saturday’s best. The two raced down the ice on an oddman rush in which Neal hopped over Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Dustin Byfuglien, passed to Eriksson and then tapped in a one-timer once Eriksson sent it back to him. Ondrej Pavelec really had no chance to stop them.
It’s a joy to watch, as you can see from the video below.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)