Jan 16, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If you handed out an award for the best collective effort of the night for a goal scorer, John Tavares would have been tonight’s winner thanks to his natural hat trick. (In fact, as you will see in a bit, he had a chance for more.)
This is an award for the best/most exhilarating goal of the night instead, though, and that goes to a great bit of passing by the Dallas Stars. In case you were wondering if Brad Richards get to skate with talented players, this goal puts his fantastic linemates on display. James Neal and Loui Eriksson connected on a spellbinding give and go play for Saturday’s best. The two raced down the ice on an oddman rush in which Neal hopped over Atlanta Thrashers defenseman Dustin Byfuglien, passed to Eriksson and then tapped in a one-timer once Eriksson sent it back to him. Ondrej Pavelec really had no chance to stop them.
It’s a joy to watch, as you can see from the video below.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)