Jan 16, 2011, 1:30 PM EST
With 12 games that ranged from battles between unfamiliar foes and contests pitting hated rivals against each other, it’s not surprising that there are some hits that many believe crossed the line of legality. Drew Doughty’s massive hit on Taylor Hall is a good example of the kind of debates that developed from Saturday’s games.
Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry is often the object of derision, but Perry was on the receiving end of a “baseball swing” slash from Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle. Perry & Co. believe that the league should take a look at the slash, stating that the infraction took the team off their game.
Perry was doing his usual dirty work in front of the Coyotes net, shoving Yandle in the back two times. The Coyotes defenseman definitely responded with a two-handed swat, one that Perry described as “stick on bone.”
“It’s a tough one to take,” Perry said. “It was a good slash right on the wrist. He got me between elbow pad and glove. It’s bone on stick.”
Perry came out for the third period and ended up playing nearly 17 minutes.
Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said his team was affected by Yandle’s slash and suggested the NHL’s disciplinarian staff might review it.
It’s hard to argue with the Ducks’ gripes when it comes to the slash, even if it’s hard to sympathize with Perry. Shane Doan has been a villain of sorts to the Ducks, as he earned a three-game suspension for a hit on Dan Sexton, broke Cam Fowler’s nose with another check and shot the puck that injured Ryan Getzlaf. For the looks of things, if Doan is a villain in Anaheim’s eyes, then Yandle might be his top henchman.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)