Jan 16, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
With 12 games that ranged from battles between unfamiliar foes and contests pitting hated rivals against each other, it’s not surprising that there are some hits that many believe crossed the line of legality. Drew Doughty’s massive hit on Taylor Hall is a good example of the kind of debates that developed from Saturday’s games.
Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry is often the object of derision, but Perry was on the receiving end of a “baseball swing” slash from Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle. Perry & Co. believe that the league should take a look at the slash, stating that the infraction took the team off their game.
Perry was doing his usual dirty work in front of the Coyotes net, shoving Yandle in the back two times. The Coyotes defenseman definitely responded with a two-handed swat, one that Perry described as “stick on bone.”
“It’s a tough one to take,” Perry said. “It was a good slash right on the wrist. He got me between elbow pad and glove. It’s bone on stick.”
Perry came out for the third period and ended up playing nearly 17 minutes.
Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said his team was affected by Yandle’s slash and suggested the NHL’s disciplinarian staff might review it.
It’s hard to argue with the Ducks’ gripes when it comes to the slash, even if it’s hard to sympathize with Perry. Shane Doan has been a villain of sorts to the Ducks, as he earned a three-game suspension for a hit on Dan Sexton, broke Cam Fowler’s nose with another check and shot the puck that injured Ryan Getzlaf. For the looks of things, if Doan is a villain in Anaheim’s eyes, then Yandle might be his top henchman.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)