Jan 16, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
With 12 games that ranged from battles between unfamiliar foes and contests pitting hated rivals against each other, it’s not surprising that there are some hits that many believe crossed the line of legality. Drew Doughty’s massive hit on Taylor Hall is a good example of the kind of debates that developed from Saturday’s games.
Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry is often the object of derision, but Perry was on the receiving end of a “baseball swing” slash from Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle. Perry & Co. believe that the league should take a look at the slash, stating that the infraction took the team off their game.
Perry was doing his usual dirty work in front of the Coyotes net, shoving Yandle in the back two times. The Coyotes defenseman definitely responded with a two-handed swat, one that Perry described as “stick on bone.”
“It’s a tough one to take,” Perry said. “It was a good slash right on the wrist. He got me between elbow pad and glove. It’s bone on stick.”
Perry came out for the third period and ended up playing nearly 17 minutes.
Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said his team was affected by Yandle’s slash and suggested the NHL’s disciplinarian staff might review it.
It’s hard to argue with the Ducks’ gripes when it comes to the slash, even if it’s hard to sympathize with Perry. Shane Doan has been a villain of sorts to the Ducks, as he earned a three-game suspension for a hit on Dan Sexton, broke Cam Fowler’s nose with another check and shot the puck that injured Ryan Getzlaf. For the looks of things, if Doan is a villain in Anaheim’s eyes, then Yandle might be his top henchman.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks