Jan 16, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
With 12 games that ranged from battles between unfamiliar foes and contests pitting hated rivals against each other, it’s not surprising that there are some hits that many believe crossed the line of legality. Drew Doughty’s massive hit on Taylor Hall is a good example of the kind of debates that developed from Saturday’s games.
Anaheim Ducks forward Corey Perry is often the object of derision, but Perry was on the receiving end of a “baseball swing” slash from Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle. Perry & Co. believe that the league should take a look at the slash, stating that the infraction took the team off their game.
Perry was doing his usual dirty work in front of the Coyotes net, shoving Yandle in the back two times. The Coyotes defenseman definitely responded with a two-handed swat, one that Perry described as “stick on bone.”
“It’s a tough one to take,” Perry said. “It was a good slash right on the wrist. He got me between elbow pad and glove. It’s bone on stick.”
Perry came out for the third period and ended up playing nearly 17 minutes.
Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said his team was affected by Yandle’s slash and suggested the NHL’s disciplinarian staff might review it.
It’s hard to argue with the Ducks’ gripes when it comes to the slash, even if it’s hard to sympathize with Perry. Shane Doan has been a villain of sorts to the Ducks, as he earned a three-game suspension for a hit on Dan Sexton, broke Cam Fowler’s nose with another check and shot the puck that injured Ryan Getzlaf. For the looks of things, if Doan is a villain in Anaheim’s eyes, then Yandle might be his top henchman.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)