Jan 16, 2011, 6:19 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals might not be getting much offense from top guns such as Alex Ovechkin or Mike Green, yet they’re finding ways to win. Some might consider that a troubling sign, but I disagree in the big picture. After all, they’ll need to find ways to win playoff games even when their stars are stifled.
Bruce Boudreau’s bunch now have 57 standings points thanks to a 3-1 win over the Ottawa Senators. The victory moves them into a virtual tie with the Tampa Bay Lightning for the top spot in the Southeast Division (although the Lightning are technically No. 1 because they have one more win).
The Senators held a 1-0 lead going into the third period thanks to a Mike Fisher goal, but the Capitals finished strong in the final frame. Brooks Laich and John Carlson scored 45 seconds apart while Jason Chimera notched the insurance goal for Washington. Michal Neuvirth had a fairly easy afternoon, making 21 out of 22 saves to earn his 15th win while Brian Elliott allowed three goals on 26 shots.
This ends a three-game losing streak for the Caps while the Senators keep sliding (2-6-2 in their last 10 games). It’s hard not to wonder if Ottawa will put coach Cory Clouston out of his misery by firing him soon.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)