Jan 16, 2011, 6:19 PM EST
The Washington Capitals might not be getting much offense from top guns such as Alex Ovechkin or Mike Green, yet they’re finding ways to win. Some might consider that a troubling sign, but I disagree in the big picture. After all, they’ll need to find ways to win playoff games even when their stars are stifled.
Bruce Boudreau’s bunch now have 57 standings points thanks to a 3-1 win over the Ottawa Senators. The victory moves them into a virtual tie with the Tampa Bay Lightning for the top spot in the Southeast Division (although the Lightning are technically No. 1 because they have one more win).
The Senators held a 1-0 lead going into the third period thanks to a Mike Fisher goal, but the Capitals finished strong in the final frame. Brooks Laich and John Carlson scored 45 seconds apart while Jason Chimera notched the insurance goal for Washington. Michal Neuvirth had a fairly easy afternoon, making 21 out of 22 saves to earn his 15th win while Brian Elliott allowed three goals on 26 shots.
This ends a three-game losing streak for the Caps while the Senators keep sliding (2-6-2 in their last 10 games). It’s hard not to wonder if Ottawa will put coach Cory Clouston out of his misery by firing him soon.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)