Jan 16, 2011, 6:19 PM EST
The Washington Capitals might not be getting much offense from top guns such as Alex Ovechkin or Mike Green, yet they’re finding ways to win. Some might consider that a troubling sign, but I disagree in the big picture. After all, they’ll need to find ways to win playoff games even when their stars are stifled.
Bruce Boudreau’s bunch now have 57 standings points thanks to a 3-1 win over the Ottawa Senators. The victory moves them into a virtual tie with the Tampa Bay Lightning for the top spot in the Southeast Division (although the Lightning are technically No. 1 because they have one more win).
The Senators held a 1-0 lead going into the third period thanks to a Mike Fisher goal, but the Capitals finished strong in the final frame. Brooks Laich and John Carlson scored 45 seconds apart while Jason Chimera notched the insurance goal for Washington. Michal Neuvirth had a fairly easy afternoon, making 21 out of 22 saves to earn his 15th win while Brian Elliott allowed three goals on 26 shots.
This ends a three-game losing streak for the Caps while the Senators keep sliding (2-6-2 in their last 10 games). It’s hard not to wonder if Ottawa will put coach Cory Clouston out of his misery by firing him soon.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 46
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (137)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)