Jan 16, 2011, 6:19 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals might not be getting much offense from top guns such as Alex Ovechkin or Mike Green, yet they’re finding ways to win. Some might consider that a troubling sign, but I disagree in the big picture. After all, they’ll need to find ways to win playoff games even when their stars are stifled.
Bruce Boudreau’s bunch now have 57 standings points thanks to a 3-1 win over the Ottawa Senators. The victory moves them into a virtual tie with the Tampa Bay Lightning for the top spot in the Southeast Division (although the Lightning are technically No. 1 because they have one more win).
The Senators held a 1-0 lead going into the third period thanks to a Mike Fisher goal, but the Capitals finished strong in the final frame. Brooks Laich and John Carlson scored 45 seconds apart while Jason Chimera notched the insurance goal for Washington. Michal Neuvirth had a fairly easy afternoon, making 21 out of 22 saves to earn his 15th win while Brian Elliott allowed three goals on 26 shots.
This ends a three-game losing streak for the Caps while the Senators keep sliding (2-6-2 in their last 10 games). It’s hard not to wonder if Ottawa will put coach Cory Clouston out of his misery by firing him soon.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)