Jan 16, 2011, 6:19 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals might not be getting much offense from top guns such as Alex Ovechkin or Mike Green, yet they’re finding ways to win. Some might consider that a troubling sign, but I disagree in the big picture. After all, they’ll need to find ways to win playoff games even when their stars are stifled.
Bruce Boudreau’s bunch now have 57 standings points thanks to a 3-1 win over the Ottawa Senators. The victory moves them into a virtual tie with the Tampa Bay Lightning for the top spot in the Southeast Division (although the Lightning are technically No. 1 because they have one more win).
The Senators held a 1-0 lead going into the third period thanks to a Mike Fisher goal, but the Capitals finished strong in the final frame. Brooks Laich and John Carlson scored 45 seconds apart while Jason Chimera notched the insurance goal for Washington. Michal Neuvirth had a fairly easy afternoon, making 21 out of 22 saves to earn his 15th win while Brian Elliott allowed three goals on 26 shots.
This ends a three-game losing streak for the Caps while the Senators keep sliding (2-6-2 in their last 10 games). It’s hard not to wonder if Ottawa will put coach Cory Clouston out of his misery by firing him soon.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)