Jan 16, 2011, 9:20 PM EST
After the scary fall that Avalanche forward Ryan O’Reilly took the other night against Minnesota, the worry over whether he would be seriously injured was high. When it was revealed that he had a shoulder injury and not a head or neck injury, many breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Today, we find out even better news from Denver that O’Reilly will miss about two weeks with that shoulder ailment and will not need surgery to repair it. O’Reilly is one of the better contributors for the Avalanche as a third line centerman. With just five goals and ten assists this year with a +6 rating, his contributions aren’t huge on the stat sheet, but key on the ice.
The Avs have had their fair share of injury problems this year, but they’ll be turning things around soon with winger Chris Stewart having returned from a broken hand injury recently. It’ll be curious to see how O’Reilly’s absence hurts the Avs depth-wise up the middle.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)