Jan 16, 2011, 9:20 PM EST
After the scary fall that Avalanche forward Ryan O’Reilly took the other night against Minnesota, the worry over whether he would be seriously injured was high. When it was revealed that he had a shoulder injury and not a head or neck injury, many breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Today, we find out even better news from Denver that O’Reilly will miss about two weeks with that shoulder ailment and will not need surgery to repair it. O’Reilly is one of the better contributors for the Avalanche as a third line centerman. With just five goals and ten assists this year with a +6 rating, his contributions aren’t huge on the stat sheet, but key on the ice.
The Avs have had their fair share of injury problems this year, but they’ll be turning things around soon with winger Chris Stewart having returned from a broken hand injury recently. It’ll be curious to see how O’Reilly’s absence hurts the Avs depth-wise up the middle.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)