Jan 16, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Just about every morning, we share our picks for the best goal and save of the previous night. We’ll unveil those later as usual, but Saturday’s 12-game slate of action provided some other video clips that are absolutely worth your time.
The first clip below captures New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist snapping like Bob Backlund on Montreal Canadiens forward/troublemaker Max Pacioretty. The outburst drew a roughing penalty, but Rangers coach John Tortorella said that he loved the emotion the normally stoic Swedish stopper showed.
The second and third clips feature some fearsome hits by two of the league’s most promising young defensemen. Oddly enough, both Drew Doughty (second video) and P.K. Subban (third video) faced their fair share of struggles so far this season. Perhaps they exorcised those demons against their victims last night, as Doughty really walloped Taylor Hall while Subban clobbered Derek Stepan.
Doughty decks Hall:
Subban checks Stepan:
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32