Jan 15, 2011, 1:59 PM EDT
There’s good news of sorts this afternoon for Avalanche forward Ryan O’Reilly.
Last night, O’Reilly took a terrible head-first spill into the boards against the Wild in Minnesota. O’Reilly was on the ice for a few minutes being tended to by trainers before being removed on a stretcher. (Video) After a short visit to the hospital, O’Reilly was allowed to head back to Denver with his teammates.
Today, the diagnosis is out for what O’Reilly’s ailment is and luckily for him, it’s not a head or neck injury. Instead, it’s an injured left shoulder as Adrian Dater of The Denver Post shares. The severity of his injury is still not known, but with a fall like that either a shoulder separation or dislocation is possible.
The Avalanche have had their issues already this season with shoulder injuries as defenseman Kyle Quincey is out for the year with one. All that aside, it’s safe to say we’re happy to hear that O’Reilly’s injury isn’t any worse than it is right now as taking a spill the way he did into the boards is terrifying and dangerous.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)