Jan 15, 2011, 1:59 PM EDT
There’s good news of sorts this afternoon for Avalanche forward Ryan O’Reilly.
Last night, O’Reilly took a terrible head-first spill into the boards against the Wild in Minnesota. O’Reilly was on the ice for a few minutes being tended to by trainers before being removed on a stretcher. (Video) After a short visit to the hospital, O’Reilly was allowed to head back to Denver with his teammates.
Today, the diagnosis is out for what O’Reilly’s ailment is and luckily for him, it’s not a head or neck injury. Instead, it’s an injured left shoulder as Adrian Dater of The Denver Post shares. The severity of his injury is still not known, but with a fall like that either a shoulder separation or dislocation is possible.
The Avalanche have had their issues already this season with shoulder injuries as defenseman Kyle Quincey is out for the year with one. All that aside, it’s safe to say we’re happy to hear that O’Reilly’s injury isn’t any worse than it is right now as taking a spill the way he did into the boards is terrifying and dangerous.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)