Jan 15, 2011, 1:59 PM EST
There’s good news of sorts this afternoon for Avalanche forward Ryan O’Reilly.
Last night, O’Reilly took a terrible head-first spill into the boards against the Wild in Minnesota. O’Reilly was on the ice for a few minutes being tended to by trainers before being removed on a stretcher. (Video) After a short visit to the hospital, O’Reilly was allowed to head back to Denver with his teammates.
Today, the diagnosis is out for what O’Reilly’s ailment is and luckily for him, it’s not a head or neck injury. Instead, it’s an injured left shoulder as Adrian Dater of The Denver Post shares. The severity of his injury is still not known, but with a fall like that either a shoulder separation or dislocation is possible.
The Avalanche have had their issues already this season with shoulder injuries as defenseman Kyle Quincey is out for the year with one. All that aside, it’s safe to say we’re happy to hear that O’Reilly’s injury isn’t any worse than it is right now as taking a spill the way he did into the boards is terrifying and dangerous.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)