Jan 15, 2011, 1:59 PM EST
There’s good news of sorts this afternoon for Avalanche forward Ryan O’Reilly.
Last night, O’Reilly took a terrible head-first spill into the boards against the Wild in Minnesota. O’Reilly was on the ice for a few minutes being tended to by trainers before being removed on a stretcher. (Video) After a short visit to the hospital, O’Reilly was allowed to head back to Denver with his teammates.
Today, the diagnosis is out for what O’Reilly’s ailment is and luckily for him, it’s not a head or neck injury. Instead, it’s an injured left shoulder as Adrian Dater of The Denver Post shares. The severity of his injury is still not known, but with a fall like that either a shoulder separation or dislocation is possible.
The Avalanche have had their issues already this season with shoulder injuries as defenseman Kyle Quincey is out for the year with one. All that aside, it’s safe to say we’re happy to hear that O’Reilly’s injury isn’t any worse than it is right now as taking a spill the way he did into the boards is terrifying and dangerous.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 0
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 61
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 36
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (169)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (64)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)