Jan 15, 2011, 11:52 PM EDT
For a recap of the early afternoon tilt between the Penguins and Bruins, click here. We’ll provide summaries of Edmonton-Los Angeles and St. Louis-San Jose later on.
The Devils have done a great job of boosting the confidence of other teams this season. Need to break a slump? Take a trip to Newark. The latest example: the Panthers sport the league’s worst power play, yet Florida generated two of their three goals on the man advantage to beat New Jersey.
Miikka Kiprusoff was perfect until there was only 13 seconds left in this game, allowing a game-tying Mikhail Grabovski goal while Toronto was on the power play. Yet considering the fact that the Maple Leafs out-shot the Flames 18-4 in that period, breaking even was quite the breakthrough. Both Kipper and J.S. Giguere stopped 32 out of 33 shots in this game, but the Finnish Flame was slightly better in the shootout.
This one was a sight for Garth Snow’s sore eyes: John Tavares provided a natural hat trick while Rick DiPietro set aside 40 out of 43 shots to give the Islanders a win against the Sabres.
The Hurricanes now find themselves only one point behind the eighth-seed Thrashers with three games in hand thanks in large part to a 7-1-2 run in their last 10 games. The Lightning are still first in the Southeast, but have lost four of six.
The Habs rode a lightning quick three goal in three minutes outburst to beat the Rangers, as tall forward Brian Boyle and spritely scorer Mats Zuccarello scored the game’s first and last goals.
Henrik Lundqvist earned 38 saves in defeat, but Rangers coach John Tortorella was most impressed by the emotion he showed when he punched forward Max Pacioretty, which earned the Swedish goalie a roughing penalty. Meanwhile Carey Price won, stopping 31 out of 33 shots.
The Red Wings earned an overtime win in Detroit one night after losing in a shootout in Columbus. Every win will be a blessing as they face the tough reality of their injury situations. Rick Nash was impressive in defeat, scoring one goal and adding two assists.
Kari Lehtonen watched his old team take quite a beating in this one, earning the win with a 29-save performance. Trevor Daley and James Neal scored two goals in the game as the Stars power play went three for five.
While it won’t completely heal the wounds of that came from their collapse against the Blackhawks in the playoffs, it must have felt great for the Predators to come back after falling behind 2-0 in this game.
Ray Whitney reached the 900-point plateau while the Coyotes won their fourth game in a row, bumping their last 10 games total to an outstanding 7-1-2 mark. That leaves Phoenix in fourth place in the West while the Ducks are stuck in eighth. Whitney crossed that threshold with an impressive two goal, one assist night.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 32
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening