Jan 15, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
The Penguins needed a big performance this afternoon and they got a few of them. Jordan Staal had a goal and an assist while Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 44 shots, including 20 in the third period to give the Penguins a 3-2 win over the Bruins.
Much like their game on Monday in Pittsburgh, the Pens jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis. The Bruins bounced their way back into the game in the second period scoring goals 13 seconds apart from Dennis Seidenberg and Michael Ryder. Suddenly the Penguins were having flashbacks to their third period meltdown against Boston on Monday where the Pens blew a 2-0 lead with less than five minutes to play and lost 4-2. Fleury made sure those worries were allayed on this day.
With the teams knotted at two going to the third, Jordan Staal’s hard-working goal early in the period got the Penguins the lead once again. The goal seemed to inspire the Bruins into playing even harder than they were and the Pens spent essentially the final five or six minutes in their own end fighting off Boston’s attack. Fleury was cool and collected and didn’t give up anything else the rest of the way while Staal outworked the Bruins centers on faceoffs. Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask stopped 33 shots in the loss.
The loss for Boston snapped the Bruins three game win streak and for Pittsburgh earned them a bit of redemption after their failure to close things out on Monday. The Bruins did get a scare late in the game as concussion-addled star center Marc Savard was crunched into the boards after a big, solid hit from Deryk Engelland. Savard was down momentarily and went to the bench looking dazed. It’ll be worth watching to see how he responds after the fact.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)