Jan 15, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Call it the price a franchise must pay for putting a (relatively) old group on the ice or just flat-out bad luck, but for the second season in a row, the Detroit Red Wings are absolutely besieged by injuries.
During the 2009-10 season, the team struggled with considerable personnel losses before surging to the fifth seed in the Western Conference at the end of the campaign. This time around, Detroit built a nice nest egg for themselves in the Central Division, but they’re going to need to reveal the value of their experience with some key injuries.
Starting goalie Jimmy Howard injured his right knee while pesky, crease-clogging forward Tomas Holmstrom broke his hand during last night’s shootout loss against the Columbus Blue Jackets. It’s unclear how severe Howard’s injury is at this time, but ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun backs up previous reports that Holmstrom will miss three to four weeks (although Holmstrom reportedly won’t need surgery). Then again, it was believed that defenseman Brad Stuart wouldn’t need surgery on his broken jaw, yet he ended up having surgery on Friday anyway.
We’ll keep you updated on the conditions of Howard and Holmstrom going forward.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)