Jan 15, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Call it the price a franchise must pay for putting a (relatively) old group on the ice or just flat-out bad luck, but for the second season in a row, the Detroit Red Wings are absolutely besieged by injuries.
During the 2009-10 season, the team struggled with considerable personnel losses before surging to the fifth seed in the Western Conference at the end of the campaign. This time around, Detroit built a nice nest egg for themselves in the Central Division, but they’re going to need to reveal the value of their experience with some key injuries.
Starting goalie Jimmy Howard injured his right knee while pesky, crease-clogging forward Tomas Holmstrom broke his hand during last night’s shootout loss against the Columbus Blue Jackets. It’s unclear how severe Howard’s injury is at this time, but ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun backs up previous reports that Holmstrom will miss three to four weeks (although Holmstrom reportedly won’t need surgery). Then again, it was believed that defenseman Brad Stuart wouldn’t need surgery on his broken jaw, yet he ended up having surgery on Friday anyway.
We’ll keep you updated on the conditions of Howard and Holmstrom going forward.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)