Jan 15, 2011, 8:00 PM EDT
Call it the price a franchise must pay for putting a (relatively) old group on the ice or just flat-out bad luck, but for the second season in a row, the Detroit Red Wings are absolutely besieged by injuries.
During the 2009-10 season, the team struggled with considerable personnel losses before surging to the fifth seed in the Western Conference at the end of the campaign. This time around, Detroit built a nice nest egg for themselves in the Central Division, but they’re going to need to reveal the value of their experience with some key injuries.
Starting goalie Jimmy Howard injured his right knee while pesky, crease-clogging forward Tomas Holmstrom broke his hand during last night’s shootout loss against the Columbus Blue Jackets. It’s unclear how severe Howard’s injury is at this time, but ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun backs up previous reports that Holmstrom will miss three to four weeks (although Holmstrom reportedly won’t need surgery). Then again, it was believed that defenseman Brad Stuart wouldn’t need surgery on his broken jaw, yet he ended up having surgery on Friday anyway.
We’ll keep you updated on the conditions of Howard and Holmstrom going forward.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)