Jan 15, 2011, 8:00 PM EST
Call it the price a franchise must pay for putting a (relatively) old group on the ice or just flat-out bad luck, but for the second season in a row, the Detroit Red Wings are absolutely besieged by injuries.
During the 2009-10 season, the team struggled with considerable personnel losses before surging to the fifth seed in the Western Conference at the end of the campaign. This time around, Detroit built a nice nest egg for themselves in the Central Division, but they’re going to need to reveal the value of their experience with some key injuries.
Starting goalie Jimmy Howard injured his right knee while pesky, crease-clogging forward Tomas Holmstrom broke his hand during last night’s shootout loss against the Columbus Blue Jackets. It’s unclear how severe Howard’s injury is at this time, but ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun backs up previous reports that Holmstrom will miss three to four weeks (although Holmstrom reportedly won’t need surgery). Then again, it was believed that defenseman Brad Stuart wouldn’t need surgery on his broken jaw, yet he ended up having surgery on Friday anyway.
We’ll keep you updated on the conditions of Howard and Holmstrom going forward.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)