Jan 15, 2011, 8:00 PM EST
Call it the price a franchise must pay for putting a (relatively) old group on the ice or just flat-out bad luck, but for the second season in a row, the Detroit Red Wings are absolutely besieged by injuries.
During the 2009-10 season, the team struggled with considerable personnel losses before surging to the fifth seed in the Western Conference at the end of the campaign. This time around, Detroit built a nice nest egg for themselves in the Central Division, but they’re going to need to reveal the value of their experience with some key injuries.
Starting goalie Jimmy Howard injured his right knee while pesky, crease-clogging forward Tomas Holmstrom broke his hand during last night’s shootout loss against the Columbus Blue Jackets. It’s unclear how severe Howard’s injury is at this time, but ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun backs up previous reports that Holmstrom will miss three to four weeks (although Holmstrom reportedly won’t need surgery). Then again, it was believed that defenseman Brad Stuart wouldn’t need surgery on his broken jaw, yet he ended up having surgery on Friday anyway.
We’ll keep you updated on the conditions of Howard and Holmstrom going forward.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)