Jan 15, 2011, 11:10 PM EST
Aside from flat-out fatigue and/or disinterest, star injuries are possibly the biggest threat to the entertainment value of any All-Star game that takes place during a sport’s season. Any hit in any game can render an important talent unable to participate.
Considering the fact that Sidney Crosby is dealing with concussion problems, former All-Star and current NHL executive Brendan Shanahan must grapple with the possibility that the game’s biggest name might need to miss the event. Calgary Sun columnist Eric Francis notes that Shanahan’s plan was to announce the two teams’ captains this week, but Crosby’s in-limbo status might throw a wrench in those plans.
Francis notes that the Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t giving daily updates on Crosby’s status anymore, but he phoned the player’s agent Pat Brisson. Brisson basically backed up other reports, stating that Crosby seems to be getting better but is still dealing with some symptoms.
The Penguins have stopped giving daily updates on Crosby, but his agent talked to him Saturday and told the Sun his post-concussion symptoms are still there.
“He feels better, but he’s still not there,” said Pat Brisson.
“He’s groggy in the morning and doesn’t feel too good.He’ll feel better for five or six hours, and then it gets worse. It’s the grogginess more than anything. He had severe neck pain after the (David) Steckel hit, but it’s going away a bit.”
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson writes that Crosby is still very involved with the team even though he hasn’t been cleared to actually take place in any workouts or practices.
Bylsma added that Crosby, the ultimate grown-up rink rat, is staying involved as best he can while he recovers from a concussion that has kept him off the ice for the past four games.
“It’s funny,” Bylsma said. “Physical activity is not something that he’s involved in right now, but he’s been around the rink an awful lot talking hockey, thinking about the power play, doing things to try to stay motivated and be involved.”
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 21
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11