Jan 15, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
No word yet on how severe the injury might be, but Atlanta Thrashers goalie Chris Mason left today’s game against the Dallas Stars with a “lower body injury” according to the Associated Press.
Mason suffered the injury after teammate Chris Thorburn hit him on accident as he was trying to block a shot. Number one goalie Ondrej Pavelec replaced Mason for the game, which the Stars currently lead 3-1.
His stats have been pretty bad this season (7-7-2 with an ugly 89.1 save percentage and abysmal 3.81 GAA), but Mason’s experience is valuable considering the fact that the Pavelec hasn’t ever carried a big workload in the NHL. If Mason’s injury is serious and the Thrashers aren’t confident in the goalies in their system, there could be even more pressure on Pavelec.
We’ll let you know how badly Mason is hurt when the Thrashers provide more details.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21