Jan 15, 2011, 9:50 PM EST
No word yet on how severe the injury might be, but Atlanta Thrashers goalie Chris Mason left today’s game against the Dallas Stars with a “lower body injury” according to the Associated Press.
Mason suffered the injury after teammate Chris Thorburn hit him on accident as he was trying to block a shot. Number one goalie Ondrej Pavelec replaced Mason for the game, which the Stars currently lead 3-1.
His stats have been pretty bad this season (7-7-2 with an ugly 89.1 save percentage and abysmal 3.81 GAA), but Mason’s experience is valuable considering the fact that the Pavelec hasn’t ever carried a big workload in the NHL. If Mason’s injury is serious and the Thrashers aren’t confident in the goalies in their system, there could be even more pressure on Pavelec.
We’ll let you know how badly Mason is hurt when the Thrashers provide more details.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 12
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)