Jan 15, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
No word yet on how severe the injury might be, but Atlanta Thrashers goalie Chris Mason left today’s game against the Dallas Stars with a “lower body injury” according to the Associated Press.
Mason suffered the injury after teammate Chris Thorburn hit him on accident as he was trying to block a shot. Number one goalie Ondrej Pavelec replaced Mason for the game, which the Stars currently lead 3-1.
His stats have been pretty bad this season (7-7-2 with an ugly 89.1 save percentage and abysmal 3.81 GAA), but Mason’s experience is valuable considering the fact that the Pavelec hasn’t ever carried a big workload in the NHL. If Mason’s injury is serious and the Thrashers aren’t confident in the goalies in their system, there could be even more pressure on Pavelec.
We’ll let you know how badly Mason is hurt when the Thrashers provide more details.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)