Jan 15, 2011, 9:50 PM EDT
No word yet on how severe the injury might be, but Atlanta Thrashers goalie Chris Mason left today’s game against the Dallas Stars with a “lower body injury” according to the Associated Press.
Mason suffered the injury after teammate Chris Thorburn hit him on accident as he was trying to block a shot. Number one goalie Ondrej Pavelec replaced Mason for the game, which the Stars currently lead 3-1.
His stats have been pretty bad this season (7-7-2 with an ugly 89.1 save percentage and abysmal 3.81 GAA), but Mason’s experience is valuable considering the fact that the Pavelec hasn’t ever carried a big workload in the NHL. If Mason’s injury is serious and the Thrashers aren’t confident in the goalies in their system, there could be even more pressure on Pavelec.
We’ll let you know how badly Mason is hurt when the Thrashers provide more details.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)