Jan 15, 2011, 3:16 PM EDT
It might be possible that Mike Commodore’s quest to leave Columbus may be coming to an end. He’s asked for a trade, he’s been waived, and he’s been sent to the minors but all the while he’s still property of the Blue Jackets.
Today, the team put Commodore on re-entry waivers as a means to make his bloated cap hit of $3.75 million for this season and the next two a bit less of a burden. Any player claimed on re-entry waivers has their cap hit split in half between the team claiming him and the team that put him on waivers. That means if he’s picked up, the Jackets and the claiming team will carry a $1.875 million cap hit until 2012-2013 season.
Commodore could provide a team a veteran presence on the blue line and a guy with a feisty, defensive game. If other re-entry waiver situations are any indication how things will go, however, Jackets GM Scott Howson better keep working the phones to make a trade. We’ll find out at noon on Monday whether or not Commodore was claimed.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 8
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 7
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 93
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (93)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)