Jan 14, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
While the Red Wings are dealing with the loss of backup goalie Chris Osgood to sports hernia surgery, they’ve gotten a major scare tonight to their starter Jimmy Howard. Howard left tonight’s game with Columbus in the first period with what the team is calling a bruised knee.
Howard went down with 7:17 to go in the first period after going down to block a shot by Derick Brassard. Howard laid on the ice in pain and was helped off the rink by team trainers. Joey MacDonald replaced Howard. Depending on the severity of the injury to Howard, the Wings are looking at possibly having both of their AHL goalies getting called into action. Thomas McCollum would be the next guy in line to play in goal. McCollum was Detroit’s first round pick in 2008, 30th overall.
That speculation is premature right now as the severity of Howard’s injury isn’t known at this time. Being out with bruised knee may just be the initial diagnosis but if it’s just that, the Wings will breathe a sigh of relief as they’re without Osgood, Dan Cleary, Mike Modano, and Brad Stuart with a variety of long-term maladies.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)