Jan 14, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
While the Red Wings are dealing with the loss of backup goalie Chris Osgood to sports hernia surgery, they’ve gotten a major scare tonight to their starter Jimmy Howard. Howard left tonight’s game with Columbus in the first period with what the team is calling a bruised knee.
Howard went down with 7:17 to go in the first period after going down to block a shot by Derick Brassard. Howard laid on the ice in pain and was helped off the rink by team trainers. Joey MacDonald replaced Howard. Depending on the severity of the injury to Howard, the Wings are looking at possibly having both of their AHL goalies getting called into action. Thomas McCollum would be the next guy in line to play in goal. McCollum was Detroit’s first round pick in 2008, 30th overall.
That speculation is premature right now as the severity of Howard’s injury isn’t known at this time. Being out with bruised knee may just be the initial diagnosis but if it’s just that, the Wings will breathe a sigh of relief as they’re without Osgood, Dan Cleary, Mike Modano, and Brad Stuart with a variety of long-term maladies.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 1
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 9
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 84
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 37
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 57
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)