Jan 14, 2011, 8:21 PM EST
While the Red Wings are dealing with the loss of backup goalie Chris Osgood to sports hernia surgery, they’ve gotten a major scare tonight to their starter Jimmy Howard. Howard left tonight’s game with Columbus in the first period with what the team is calling a bruised knee.
Howard went down with 7:17 to go in the first period after going down to block a shot by Derick Brassard. Howard laid on the ice in pain and was helped off the rink by team trainers. Joey MacDonald replaced Howard. Depending on the severity of the injury to Howard, the Wings are looking at possibly having both of their AHL goalies getting called into action. Thomas McCollum would be the next guy in line to play in goal. McCollum was Detroit’s first round pick in 2008, 30th overall.
That speculation is premature right now as the severity of Howard’s injury isn’t known at this time. Being out with bruised knee may just be the initial diagnosis but if it’s just that, the Wings will breathe a sigh of relief as they’re without Osgood, Dan Cleary, Mike Modano, and Brad Stuart with a variety of long-term maladies.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)