Jan 14, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
If we decided to hand out a “lifetime achievement award” (or at least a season-long achievement award) for the player whose name shows up the most in our Save of the Night selections, Tim Thomas would be the first to receive such an honor.
It makes sense, though, because Thomas is the best current answer the league can find for Dominik Hasek’s Slinky-spine style. While many other goalies fall upon rigid technique in the heat of the moment, Thomas will occasionally flop around and provide borderline artistic efforts to stop the puck. (That’s not to say he lacks any discernible technique; he’s just … different.)
Last night’s 7-5 victory didn’t represent the typical Tim Thomas type of win for Boston, but when it comes to facing an elite team like the Philadelphia Flyers, they’ll take what they can get. Thomas still managed a brilliant moment or two, including this impressive stop on All-Star forward Claude Giroux. That stop earned him the January 13th award, which you can view below.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)