Jan 14, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
For a recap of the Rangers’ 1-0 win over the Canucks – including Wojtek Wolski‘s first goal with the team – click here. Here’s the early edition of our posts. Now let’s take a look at Thursday’s latest games.
Here is an understatement: the Sharks are in trouble right now. They’re now on a six game losing streak and have also lost six in a row at home. That’s their longest losing streak in 15 years. San Jose isn’t technically in the cellar yet, but considering how tight the West is, there’s a genuine concern that they might miss the playoffs.
Moving on to Edmonton’s side of the struggle, the Oilers ended a three-game road losing streak and earned only their second win in their last 11 games. Taylor Hall scored two goals and one assist while Devan Dubynk stood tall (literally and figuratively) with 41 saves.
Judging from that shot total, the Sharks are at least trying, but they haven’t been good enough for much of the 2010-11 season.
The Blues came into this game battered and bruised – there was some thought that they would only skate with five defensemen – yet they took advantage of an even more rattled Kings team to win this game.
It was a Blues-type contest, too, as the teams only combined for 46 shots overall. Jaroslav Halak stopped 24 out of 25 shots while Jonathan Quick allowed three goals on only 21 shots.
Michal Handzus scored the Kings’ only goal while B.J. Crombeen, Ryan Reaves and Alex Steen scored for the Blues. Both teams trail the Colorado Avalanche for eight place in the West, with St. Louis ranked at ninth with 48 points and Los Angeles tied for tenth with 47.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)