Jan 14, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
For a recap of the Rangers’ 1-0 win over the Canucks – including Wojtek Wolski‘s first goal with the team – click here. Here’s the early edition of our posts. Now let’s take a look at Thursday’s latest games.
Here is an understatement: the Sharks are in trouble right now. They’re now on a six game losing streak and have also lost six in a row at home. That’s their longest losing streak in 15 years. San Jose isn’t technically in the cellar yet, but considering how tight the West is, there’s a genuine concern that they might miss the playoffs.
Moving on to Edmonton’s side of the struggle, the Oilers ended a three-game road losing streak and earned only their second win in their last 11 games. Taylor Hall scored two goals and one assist while Devan Dubynk stood tall (literally and figuratively) with 41 saves.
Judging from that shot total, the Sharks are at least trying, but they haven’t been good enough for much of the 2010-11 season.
The Blues came into this game battered and bruised – there was some thought that they would only skate with five defensemen – yet they took advantage of an even more rattled Kings team to win this game.
It was a Blues-type contest, too, as the teams only combined for 46 shots overall. Jaroslav Halak stopped 24 out of 25 shots while Jonathan Quick allowed three goals on only 21 shots.
Michal Handzus scored the Kings’ only goal while B.J. Crombeen, Ryan Reaves and Alex Steen scored for the Blues. Both teams trail the Colorado Avalanche for eight place in the West, with St. Louis ranked at ninth with 48 points and Los Angeles tied for tenth with 47.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 34
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)