Jan 14, 2011, 7:00 AM EDT
For a recap of the Rangers’ 1-0 win over the Canucks – including Wojtek Wolski‘s first goal with the team – click here. Here’s the early edition of our posts. Now let’s take a look at Thursday’s latest games.
Here is an understatement: the Sharks are in trouble right now. They’re now on a six game losing streak and have also lost six in a row at home. That’s their longest losing streak in 15 years. San Jose isn’t technically in the cellar yet, but considering how tight the West is, there’s a genuine concern that they might miss the playoffs.
Moving on to Edmonton’s side of the struggle, the Oilers ended a three-game road losing streak and earned only their second win in their last 11 games. Taylor Hall scored two goals and one assist while Devan Dubynk stood tall (literally and figuratively) with 41 saves.
Judging from that shot total, the Sharks are at least trying, but they haven’t been good enough for much of the 2010-11 season.
The Blues came into this game battered and bruised – there was some thought that they would only skate with five defensemen – yet they took advantage of an even more rattled Kings team to win this game.
It was a Blues-type contest, too, as the teams only combined for 46 shots overall. Jaroslav Halak stopped 24 out of 25 shots while Jonathan Quick allowed three goals on only 21 shots.
Michal Handzus scored the Kings’ only goal while B.J. Crombeen, Ryan Reaves and Alex Steen scored for the Blues. Both teams trail the Colorado Avalanche for eight place in the West, with St. Louis ranked at ninth with 48 points and Los Angeles tied for tenth with 47.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 9
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20