Jan 14, 2011, 10:37 PM EDT
It’s time to start putting Henrik Zetterberg and Nicklas Lidstrom in bubble wrap. During tonight’s 3-2 shootout loss to Columbus the Red Wings not only lost Jimmy Howard during the game due to a bruised knee but now they’ll be without Tomas Holmstrom for an indefinite amount of time after breaking his hand during the game.
The soon-to-be 38 year-old Holmstrom has had a quiet year with 11 goals and 11 assists but with injuries to Pavel Datsyuk, Dan Cleary, and Mike Modano up front getting Holmstrom’s net presence and goal-scoring touch in the lineup was necessary to the Wings offense. Now, it’ll be up to Todd Bertuzzi and Jiri Hudler to increase their offensive output and for role players like Drew Miller and Justin Abdelkader to do a bit more than what they’re normally asked.
For Detroit, they’ve been through a brutal stretch like this with injuries before. Last season, the Wings spent most of the season playing without a full lineup only to finally get everyone healthy in late February and early March. The Wings stormed back to life to go from teetering on the brink of missing the playoffs to the fifth seed overall in the West. The Wings are currently in first place in the Central Division and second in the Western Conference. They’ll get their mettle tested once again with this host of injuries up front as well as with injuries to Brad Stuart and Chris Osgood.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 4
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)