Jan 14, 2011, 7:06 PM EDT
Maple Leafs forward Mike Brown made a big impression in his first game back after injury. He assisted on the Leafs only goal of the game in a 5-1 loss to Phoenix and managed to draw the attention of the NHL’s front office after a questionable hit on Coyotes defenseman Ed Jovanovski.
Brown’s head shot on Jovanovski has earned him a three-game suspension from the NHL for violating Rule 48. Brown’s play on the ice is always physical with an edge and this hit certainly qualifies as such as he cut in front of Jovanovski and caught him with the back of his elbow right in the face. You can see video of the hit on YouTube here.
Losing Brown from the lineup won’t be too painful for Toronto seeing as how they’ve been playing without him since late November as it is. The question some fans are raising here is about whether or not this is Rule 48 run amok. In this case, Brown cut in front of Jovanovski without him knowing he was there and caught him up high with a blow to the head. It’s a cut and dry violation of the new rule and the exact sort of thing the league wants out of the game. If there are fans that wish to keep this sort of thing in the game, a new set of priorities might be in order.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)