Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly taken off on stretcher after going head first into boards against Minnesota
Jan 14, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly was taken from the ice at Xcel Energy Center on a stretcher after going head first into the boards. O’Reilly laid on the ice without moving for minutes while being tended to by Avalanche trainers.
O’Reilly was going after the puck in a race with Minnesota’s Matt Cullen. O’Reilly appeared to lose an edge skating towards the side boards in front of the Wild bench and tumbled forward striking the back of his head flush against the boards.
O’Reilly was seen moving his extremities immediately after the play and was conscious talking with the trainers on the ice. With any hit like this trainers will take every precaution to ensure the player’s safety in case there’s been a severe head or neck injury. O’Reilly was taken to a local hospital for observation. We’ll keep you posted on his condition as news breaks.
(Photo taken from video on the Altitude Network)
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)