Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly taken off on stretcher after going head first into boards against Minnesota
Jan 14, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly was taken from the ice at Xcel Energy Center on a stretcher after going head first into the boards. O’Reilly laid on the ice without moving for minutes while being tended to by Avalanche trainers.
O’Reilly was going after the puck in a race with Minnesota’s Matt Cullen. O’Reilly appeared to lose an edge skating towards the side boards in front of the Wild bench and tumbled forward striking the back of his head flush against the boards.
O’Reilly was seen moving his extremities immediately after the play and was conscious talking with the trainers on the ice. With any hit like this trainers will take every precaution to ensure the player’s safety in case there’s been a severe head or neck injury. O’Reilly was taken to a local hospital for observation. We’ll keep you posted on his condition as news breaks.
(Photo taken from video on the Altitude Network)
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)