Jan 14, 2011, 5:10 PM EST
Original reports indicated that Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart would not need surgery for a broken jaw he suffered from a check by Calgary Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos, but various sources indicate that he opted for surgery after all.
On the bright side, his window of recovery hasn’t changed; he’s still expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury. Kostopoulos received a six-game suspension for the hit, a ruling that the forward and Flames GM Jay Feaster strongly disagreed with.
Stuart scored three goals and nine assists for 12 points in 41 games for the Red Wings so far this season. While his average time on ice per game went down from 23:10 minutes per game during the 2009-10 season to just under 21 minutes per game this season, he’s obviously still a valuable member of the Detroit blueline.
Want another look at the hit that sidelined Stuart? Check out video of the Kostopoulos check below.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)