Jan 14, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Original reports indicated that Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart would not need surgery for a broken jaw he suffered from a check by Calgary Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos, but various sources indicate that he opted for surgery after all.
On the bright side, his window of recovery hasn’t changed; he’s still expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury. Kostopoulos received a six-game suspension for the hit, a ruling that the forward and Flames GM Jay Feaster strongly disagreed with.
Stuart scored three goals and nine assists for 12 points in 41 games for the Red Wings so far this season. While his average time on ice per game went down from 23:10 minutes per game during the 2009-10 season to just under 21 minutes per game this season, he’s obviously still a valuable member of the Detroit blueline.
Want another look at the hit that sidelined Stuart? Check out video of the Kostopoulos check below.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)