Jan 14, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Original reports indicated that Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart would not need surgery for a broken jaw he suffered from a check by Calgary Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos, but various sources indicate that he opted for surgery after all.
On the bright side, his window of recovery hasn’t changed; he’s still expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury. Kostopoulos received a six-game suspension for the hit, a ruling that the forward and Flames GM Jay Feaster strongly disagreed with.
Stuart scored three goals and nine assists for 12 points in 41 games for the Red Wings so far this season. While his average time on ice per game went down from 23:10 minutes per game during the 2009-10 season to just under 21 minutes per game this season, he’s obviously still a valuable member of the Detroit blueline.
Want another look at the hit that sidelined Stuart? Check out video of the Kostopoulos check below.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (145)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)