Jan 14, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Original reports indicated that Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart would not need surgery for a broken jaw he suffered from a check by Calgary Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos, but various sources indicate that he opted for surgery after all.
On the bright side, his window of recovery hasn’t changed; he’s still expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury. Kostopoulos received a six-game suspension for the hit, a ruling that the forward and Flames GM Jay Feaster strongly disagreed with.
Stuart scored three goals and nine assists for 12 points in 41 games for the Red Wings so far this season. While his average time on ice per game went down from 23:10 minutes per game during the 2009-10 season to just under 21 minutes per game this season, he’s obviously still a valuable member of the Detroit blueline.
Want another look at the hit that sidelined Stuart? Check out video of the Kostopoulos check below.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)