Jan 14, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Original reports indicated that Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart would not need surgery for a broken jaw he suffered from a check by Calgary Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos, but various sources indicate that he opted for surgery after all.
On the bright side, his window of recovery hasn’t changed; he’s still expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury. Kostopoulos received a six-game suspension for the hit, a ruling that the forward and Flames GM Jay Feaster strongly disagreed with.
Stuart scored three goals and nine assists for 12 points in 41 games for the Red Wings so far this season. While his average time on ice per game went down from 23:10 minutes per game during the 2009-10 season to just under 21 minutes per game this season, he’s obviously still a valuable member of the Detroit blueline.
Want another look at the hit that sidelined Stuart? Check out video of the Kostopoulos check below.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)