Jan 13, 2011, 7:37 PM EST
It sounds like NHL enforcers won’t have to worry about “The Boogeyman” for quite some time, as word from the New York Rangers indicates that tough guy Derek Boogaard is struggling to bounce back from a December 9th concussion.
Aside from the obvious number one choice that was the Ilya Kovalchuk free agent soap opera, the gold rush for enforcers was probably the oddest development in the often-bewildering free agent frenzy last summer.
In the span of hours, the Atlantic Division became “the heavyweight division” as the Islanders (Zenon Konopka), Flyers (Jody Shelley) and Rangers (Brandon Prust, Derek Boogaard) added to the already stout group of fighters among those five teams. Right after Philadelphia gave Jody Shelley a silly amount of money, Glen Sather upstaged them (and reminded us why people make fun of him so often) by giving “The Boogeyman” an absurd four-year, $6.6 million deal.
What was already a silly signing keeps getting worse, although perhaps a career-ending concussion might bail the Rangers out from his unnecessary cap hit (much like sending Wade Redden’s $6.5 million to the minors). We’ll let you know if Boogaard manages to appear in another game during the 2010-11 season, but it doesn’t look good right now, as John Tortorella notes that he hasn’t even begun working out yet.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)