Jan 13, 2011, 7:37 PM EDT
It sounds like NHL enforcers won’t have to worry about “The Boogeyman” for quite some time, as word from the New York Rangers indicates that tough guy Derek Boogaard is struggling to bounce back from a December 9th concussion.
Aside from the obvious number one choice that was the Ilya Kovalchuk free agent soap opera, the gold rush for enforcers was probably the oddest development in the often-bewildering free agent frenzy last summer.
In the span of hours, the Atlantic Division became “the heavyweight division” as the Islanders (Zenon Konopka), Flyers (Jody Shelley) and Rangers (Brandon Prust, Derek Boogaard) added to the already stout group of fighters among those five teams. Right after Philadelphia gave Jody Shelley a silly amount of money, Glen Sather upstaged them (and reminded us why people make fun of him so often) by giving “The Boogeyman” an absurd four-year, $6.6 million deal.
What was already a silly signing keeps getting worse, although perhaps a career-ending concussion might bail the Rangers out from his unnecessary cap hit (much like sending Wade Redden’s $6.5 million to the minors). We’ll let you know if Boogaard manages to appear in another game during the 2010-11 season, but it doesn’t look good right now, as John Tortorella notes that he hasn’t even begun working out yet.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)