Jan 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We’re not about to try and steal thunder away from our friends at HardballTalk but apparently Tampa Bay’s Sean Bergenheim is looking to audition to make his own appearance over there. During the Lightning’s 3-0 win over the Capitals, Bergenheim was able to score a goal in one of the more unique ways you can.
With the Lightning already ahead 1-0 in the first period, a flurry of play in front of Semyon Varlamov’s net saw the puck hopping all over the place. Victor Hedman received a pass from Steve Downie at the top of the zone and let a rip of a shot go from the blue line. Varlamov was able to make the initial save, popping the puck up in the air.
Bergenheim was perched near the front of the net and took the time and space that he had to knock the puck out of midair and into the net to make it 2-0. With a connection like that, we’re thinking that perhaps the Tampa Bay Rays might want to ask and see if Bergenheim is up to anything this summer, we hear they might need an extra bat or two in the lineup.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)