Jan 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We’re not about to try and steal thunder away from our friends at HardballTalk but apparently Tampa Bay’s Sean Bergenheim is looking to audition to make his own appearance over there. During the Lightning’s 3-0 win over the Capitals, Bergenheim was able to score a goal in one of the more unique ways you can.
With the Lightning already ahead 1-0 in the first period, a flurry of play in front of Semyon Varlamov’s net saw the puck hopping all over the place. Victor Hedman received a pass from Steve Downie at the top of the zone and let a rip of a shot go from the blue line. Varlamov was able to make the initial save, popping the puck up in the air.
Bergenheim was perched near the front of the net and took the time and space that he had to knock the puck out of midair and into the net to make it 2-0. With a connection like that, we’re thinking that perhaps the Tampa Bay Rays might want to ask and see if Bergenheim is up to anything this summer, we hear they might need an extra bat or two in the lineup.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)