Jan 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
We’re not about to try and steal thunder away from our friends at HardballTalk but apparently Tampa Bay’s Sean Bergenheim is looking to audition to make his own appearance over there. During the Lightning’s 3-0 win over the Capitals, Bergenheim was able to score a goal in one of the more unique ways you can.
With the Lightning already ahead 1-0 in the first period, a flurry of play in front of Semyon Varlamov’s net saw the puck hopping all over the place. Victor Hedman received a pass from Steve Downie at the top of the zone and let a rip of a shot go from the blue line. Varlamov was able to make the initial save, popping the puck up in the air.
Bergenheim was perched near the front of the net and took the time and space that he had to knock the puck out of midair and into the net to make it 2-0. With a connection like that, we’re thinking that perhaps the Tampa Bay Rays might want to ask and see if Bergenheim is up to anything this summer, we hear they might need an extra bat or two in the lineup.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 13
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)