Jan 13, 2011, 5:54 PM EDT
Flashing back to the off-season of 2008, Fabian Brunnstrom was getting attention from all sorts of NHL teams as a highly touted free agent prospect from Sweden. He had Detroit, Toronto, and Dallas all hot after him and it was the Stars that landed him. In his rookie season, he scored 17 goals for Dallas but in 2011, Brunnstrom has finally worn out his welcome with the Stars after two and a half seasons. Today, Dallas traded Brunnstrom to Toronto for prospect forward Mikhail Stefanovich.
Brunnstrom was making $675,000 in the AHL this season as he’s played for the AHL Texas Stars all year. For a team that’s hard-pressed for money, cutting loose Brunnstrom for a prospect who’s currently on loan to the KHL makes a ton of financial sense. Brunnstrom is making that much in the minor leagues because he’s on a one-way contract. He re-signed with Dallas this past off-season as the Stars weren’t ready to give up on him just yet, but with money being the big motivator here Brunnstrom was an expendable piece.
Of course, money wasn’t the sole motivation for dealing him. This year through 37 games in the AHL, Brunnstrom had 11 goals and 10 assists. Those kinds of numbers aren’t exactly impressive but for a Toronto team desperate to add any offense to the mix in their system, it’s worth it to take a shot on Brunnstrom. If he can take this trade as motivation, getting him to unleash his potential for the Leafs would make for a great boost to their offensively challenged lineup. Banking on that happening, however, would be presumptuous at best.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)