Jan 13, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
While the Colorado Avalanche certainly might not need the added offense, they’re not about to turn down help when it comes to them. This season’s breakout sensation, power forward Chris Stewart, is apparently ready to come back after breaking his hand in a fight weeks ago.
Adrian Dater of The Denver Post tweets that Stewart skated on a line in practice today with Paul Stastny and David Jones and that he’ll be in the lineup tomorrow night against Minnesota. Also rejoining the Avs lineup is physical forward Cody McLeod. To make room on the roster for Stewart, the Avs waived forward Greg Mauldin.
Before Stewart was hurt, he had 11 goals and 14 assists through 23 games, so his return to the lineup will be welcomed while his presence was certainly missed. That said, the Avs problems of late haven’t had anything to do with their offense as they’ve been continuing to play well, but rather with the team’s defense. The hope is that with two starters returning to the forward lineup that perhaps pressure will be eased on a defensive unit and goaltending that’s been more than suspect of late.
Either that or the Avs will continue with the plan of outscoring everyone and hoping it all holds together.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)