Jan 13, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
While the Colorado Avalanche certainly might not need the added offense, they’re not about to turn down help when it comes to them. This season’s breakout sensation, power forward Chris Stewart, is apparently ready to come back after breaking his hand in a fight weeks ago.
Adrian Dater of The Denver Post tweets that Stewart skated on a line in practice today with Paul Stastny and David Jones and that he’ll be in the lineup tomorrow night against Minnesota. Also rejoining the Avs lineup is physical forward Cody McLeod. To make room on the roster for Stewart, the Avs waived forward Greg Mauldin.
Before Stewart was hurt, he had 11 goals and 14 assists through 23 games, so his return to the lineup will be welcomed while his presence was certainly missed. That said, the Avs problems of late haven’t had anything to do with their offense as they’ve been continuing to play well, but rather with the team’s defense. The hope is that with two starters returning to the forward lineup that perhaps pressure will be eased on a defensive unit and goaltending that’s been more than suspect of late.
Either that or the Avs will continue with the plan of outscoring everyone and hoping it all holds together.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 2
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 38
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)