Jan 13, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
While the Colorado Avalanche certainly might not need the added offense, they’re not about to turn down help when it comes to them. This season’s breakout sensation, power forward Chris Stewart, is apparently ready to come back after breaking his hand in a fight weeks ago.
Adrian Dater of The Denver Post tweets that Stewart skated on a line in practice today with Paul Stastny and David Jones and that he’ll be in the lineup tomorrow night against Minnesota. Also rejoining the Avs lineup is physical forward Cody McLeod. To make room on the roster for Stewart, the Avs waived forward Greg Mauldin.
Before Stewart was hurt, he had 11 goals and 14 assists through 23 games, so his return to the lineup will be welcomed while his presence was certainly missed. That said, the Avs problems of late haven’t had anything to do with their offense as they’ve been continuing to play well, but rather with the team’s defense. The hope is that with two starters returning to the forward lineup that perhaps pressure will be eased on a defensive unit and goaltending that’s been more than suspect of late.
Either that or the Avs will continue with the plan of outscoring everyone and hoping it all holds together.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)