Jan 12, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
More so than last night’s best goals, there were plenty of great saves to choose from on Tuesday night. Antti Niemi did a nice job thwarting Phil Kessel on a breakaway. Kevin Poulin and Tomas Vokoun helped their teams stay in games. Henrik Lundqvist made a blocker save much like Tuesday’s eventual winner.
That would be Calgary Flames backup Henrik Karlsson, a 6’5″ goalie who stands out on skates but rarely does much but sit tall on the bench because of frequent starter (and frequent save of the night winner) Miikka Kiprusoff. While this video doesn’t display the kind of technique or positioning that makes goalie coaches beam with pride, it’s still a treat to watch Karlsson stop Jussi Jokinen on a point-blank one-timer in overtime in the throes of desperation. Jokinen scored two goals and one assist last night, but Karlsson kept him from earning a hat trick with this impressive blocker stop.
Sure, the Hurricanes ended up beating the Flames in a shootout anyway, but not before Karlsson made quite the impression with a great save.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)