Jan 12, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
More so than last night’s best goals, there were plenty of great saves to choose from on Tuesday night. Antti Niemi did a nice job thwarting Phil Kessel on a breakaway. Kevin Poulin and Tomas Vokoun helped their teams stay in games. Henrik Lundqvist made a blocker save much like Tuesday’s eventual winner.
That would be Calgary Flames backup Henrik Karlsson, a 6’5″ goalie who stands out on skates but rarely does much but sit tall on the bench because of frequent starter (and frequent save of the night winner) Miikka Kiprusoff. While this video doesn’t display the kind of technique or positioning that makes goalie coaches beam with pride, it’s still a treat to watch Karlsson stop Jussi Jokinen on a point-blank one-timer in overtime in the throes of desperation. Jokinen scored two goals and one assist last night, but Karlsson kept him from earning a hat trick with this impressive blocker stop.
Sure, the Hurricanes ended up beating the Flames in a shootout anyway, but not before Karlsson made quite the impression with a great save.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)