Jan 12, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
More so than last night’s best goals, there were plenty of great saves to choose from on Tuesday night. Antti Niemi did a nice job thwarting Phil Kessel on a breakaway. Kevin Poulin and Tomas Vokoun helped their teams stay in games. Henrik Lundqvist made a blocker save much like Tuesday’s eventual winner.
That would be Calgary Flames backup Henrik Karlsson, a 6’5″ goalie who stands out on skates but rarely does much but sit tall on the bench because of frequent starter (and frequent save of the night winner) Miikka Kiprusoff. While this video doesn’t display the kind of technique or positioning that makes goalie coaches beam with pride, it’s still a treat to watch Karlsson stop Jussi Jokinen on a point-blank one-timer in overtime in the throes of desperation. Jokinen scored two goals and one assist last night, but Karlsson kept him from earning a hat trick with this impressive blocker stop.
Sure, the Hurricanes ended up beating the Flames in a shootout anyway, but not before Karlsson made quite the impression with a great save.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 8
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 106
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)