Jan 12, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
San Jose Sharks fans aren’t very happy about it, but various sources report that Toronto Maple Leafs tough guy Colton Orr will not face a fine or a suspension for his controversial knee-to-knee hit on Sharks Calder Trophy candidate Logan Couture.
Couture didn’t return during the Sharks’ upsetting 4-2 loss to the Leafs, which ended up being former Sharks coach Ron Wilson’s 600th win behind an NHL bench. The latest word on Couture is that he might be “day-to-day” with a knee injury, which is the NHL injury report equivalent to a shoulder shrug. That being said, if the Sharks provide more information today, we’ll pass it along.
The talented Sharks rookie is one of the most promising first-year players in the league this season, with 19 goals and nine assists for 28 points with a +9 rating in 44 games played. Losing him for any extensive amount of time would be a huge blow to the struggling Sharks, as many observers consider him the team’s mid-point MVP.
Here is a clip of the hit, via Comcast Sportsnet.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13