Jan 12, 2011, 11:52 AM EST
San Jose Sharks fans aren’t very happy about it, but various sources report that Toronto Maple Leafs tough guy Colton Orr will not face a fine or a suspension for his controversial knee-to-knee hit on Sharks Calder Trophy candidate Logan Couture.
Couture didn’t return during the Sharks’ upsetting 4-2 loss to the Leafs, which ended up being former Sharks coach Ron Wilson’s 600th win behind an NHL bench. The latest word on Couture is that he might be “day-to-day” with a knee injury, which is the NHL injury report equivalent to a shoulder shrug. That being said, if the Sharks provide more information today, we’ll pass it along.
The talented Sharks rookie is one of the most promising first-year players in the league this season, with 19 goals and nine assists for 28 points with a +9 rating in 44 games played. Losing him for any extensive amount of time would be a huge blow to the struggling Sharks, as many observers consider him the team’s mid-point MVP.
Here is a clip of the hit, via Comcast Sportsnet.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)