Jan 12, 2011, 11:52 AM EST
San Jose Sharks fans aren’t very happy about it, but various sources report that Toronto Maple Leafs tough guy Colton Orr will not face a fine or a suspension for his controversial knee-to-knee hit on Sharks Calder Trophy candidate Logan Couture.
Couture didn’t return during the Sharks’ upsetting 4-2 loss to the Leafs, which ended up being former Sharks coach Ron Wilson’s 600th win behind an NHL bench. The latest word on Couture is that he might be “day-to-day” with a knee injury, which is the NHL injury report equivalent to a shoulder shrug. That being said, if the Sharks provide more information today, we’ll pass it along.
The talented Sharks rookie is one of the most promising first-year players in the league this season, with 19 goals and nine assists for 28 points with a +9 rating in 44 games played. Losing him for any extensive amount of time would be a huge blow to the struggling Sharks, as many observers consider him the team’s mid-point MVP.
Here is a clip of the hit, via Comcast Sportsnet.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2