Jan 12, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
San Jose Sharks fans aren’t very happy about it, but various sources report that Toronto Maple Leafs tough guy Colton Orr will not face a fine or a suspension for his controversial knee-to-knee hit on Sharks Calder Trophy candidate Logan Couture.
Couture didn’t return during the Sharks’ upsetting 4-2 loss to the Leafs, which ended up being former Sharks coach Ron Wilson’s 600th win behind an NHL bench. The latest word on Couture is that he might be “day-to-day” with a knee injury, which is the NHL injury report equivalent to a shoulder shrug. That being said, if the Sharks provide more information today, we’ll pass it along.
The talented Sharks rookie is one of the most promising first-year players in the league this season, with 19 goals and nine assists for 28 points with a +9 rating in 44 games played. Losing him for any extensive amount of time would be a huge blow to the struggling Sharks, as many observers consider him the team’s mid-point MVP.
Here is a clip of the hit, via Comcast Sportsnet.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38