Jan 12, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Although the New York Islanders started the 2010-11 season with some scrappy promise, it seems true that the team’s hopes were indeed crushed in the preseason when lifeblood defenseman Mark Streit and budding power forward Kyle Okposo went down with significant injuries. The already limited team lost its best defenseman and one of its most important forwards before the first puck was dropped on the season.
While the team still labels Okposo “week-to-week” and won’t provide a genuine time table for his return, the young player reached a milestone of sorts by skating in his first full team practice since suffering the shoulder injury this morning.
Considering the fact that the Islanders are deep in the league’s cellar (they’re currently the second worst team in the NHL, only ahead of the dreadful New Jersey Devils), it would be wise for the team to practice due diligence with his return. Surely Okposo is chomping at the bit to get back into game action, but if the team feels that he isn’t ready to return at all this season, they shouldn’t rush him back.
When you take into account the rough road to recovery for goalie Rick DiPietro, the team has clear examples of how long it can take for a player to make it back from injury. On the bright side, Okposo is suffering from shoulder problems rather than DiPietro’s knee issues, so it’s something that isn’t as likely to be a recurring problem. (At least it seems that way; we are not a house of learned doctors here at PHT.)
Much like the Islanders themselves, we’ll play the wait-and-see game regarding Okposo’s condition.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)