Jan 12, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
Today presents some great news for the Philadelphia Flyers and bad news for … well, just about everyone else.
No, the NHL didn’t decide to award power plays instead of penalties for instigating fights. Instead, word has it that menacing defenseman Chris Pronger is expected to meet up with the team in Atlanta to practice on Friday and might be able to return to game action as early as next week, according to Stephen Whyno of the Philadelphia Sports Daily.
The window for the elbow-throwing, elite blueliner’s return was expected to be 4-6 weeks. If he comes back next week, that would mean he made it back closer to the four week end of that spectrum.
Of course, it’s important to note that Pronger is still rehabbing that injury. It’s possible he might hit a setback or decide that he needs some conditioning stints to get back into game shape before he can return to the lineup full-time.
The Flyers could have the option to add two large defensemen back into their lineup if they choose because it sounds like Matt Walker’s condition is improving, too. Whyno reports that the team took the yellow “no contact” jersey off Walker, although there is no time table for his return.
We’ll keep you updated as the two hulking defensemen try to make their way back to the ice for the East-leading Flyers.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 24
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)