Jan 12, 2011, 1:37 PM EST
Let’s take a look at a few of the stories regarding the 2011 NHL All-Star Game.
- From Steven Stamkos to Marc-Andre Fleury and Dustin Bfyuglien, NHL.com reports that 21 of the 42 players set to play in the exhibition will be making their first appearances in the event. It’s easy to critique the choices (more on that in a moment), but let’s not forget that this event is supposed to be a leisurely celebration of the sport more than anything else. Seeing players get their first chance to enjoy it is a nice treat.
- Brendan Shanahan points out the fact that injuries will likely change the makeup of the roster anyway, but discussed the selection process made by Hockey Operations. Shanahan said that they decided the remaining 36 players (fans voted for the top six) based on a combination of their overall body of work and their play leading up to the process.
- Philadelphia Daily Times Anthony SanFilippo provided quite the diatribe about the biggest snubs. While it seems like his anger is a little excessive – after all, this is a meaningless game, as he put it – there were some ridiculous omissions. It’s tough to deny the fact that the teams will be missing the likes of Nicklas Backstrom, John-Michael Lilies, Ondrej Pavelec and other slightly lower profile but nonetheless high-end 2010-11 players were left on the sidelines while Patrik Elias managed to get a spot.
- Finally, let’s take a breezy look at the top five places to visit in Raleigh, North Carolina via former Hurricanes goalie Kevin Weekes. If you didn’t take lunch yet, you’ll probably want to plan that out right about … now.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NHL Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld